shopping list (need input)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumrah

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, i'm about to buy all the stuff for my new 46g...

Here's the list i've made so far:

46g bowfront All-Glass aquarium
matching cabnet/hood/light strip
Magnum 350 Pro
in-line heater (how many watts? i live in FL)
pump of some sort (Mag 5 or Via Aqua something maybe)

I'm not sure how i'm going to get aeration to the tank (maybe devise an air pump that taps into the input line)
also, i'm not sure which pump to get. And do i need a protien skimmer? What sort of media do i put in the canister?

Thanks,
David

Instead of a magnum 350, consider a eheim 2213. You have total flexability of media and they are quiet. You can mount the spray bar near the surface and adjust it to give any amount of surface disturbance you want. You will not need any other pump. They are about the asme price from big als. I would go with a 100 and a 150 watt heater. BY slightly offsetting the adjustments, you use the smaller and cheaper one most of the time but have the other available for a cold spell or failure of the other.:D

Id say get a different filter like a FilStar. The ine you have may not be that great.

Whats a "in-line" heater?

Why do you need the pump?

Chances are you wont need an aripump. If you put the output/spraybar above the water line it should be good enough.

just to clarify, the canister is a filter only, it does not include a power head of any sort. right?

The canister does circulate the water. The water is pumped back in to the tank via a spray bar or nozzle which should give you all the surface agitation you need. Provided you get a large enough canister filter for your system or unless you need a lot of current for some reason, you should not need a power head.

In line heaters are nice. I have one running for over two months. Nice, equal heat distribution. They are about 3 inches wide and must be verticle to prevent air trapping. Leae some space behind the tank and wall to keep it verticle, or make sure you have enough room below your stand to accomodate the 10 inch long heater and the canister height.

Back
Top Bottom