Should I do a PWC? (Fishless Cycle)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I second the Prime. Right now I am using a Hagen dechlorinator, because the place down the street from me didn't even have Prime.

Did you put anything in the tank like substrate from an already established tank or a filter from another tank with all the good bacteria. If not, you'll have to add a dead shrimp or cut up shrimp to start the cycle. I hope this helps.

Did you put anything in the tank like substrate from an already established tank or a filter from another tank with all the good bacteria. If not, you'll have to add a dead shrimp or cut up shrimp to start the cycle. I hope this helps.

Not to sound snippy, but you should read the thread before posting that. I said right off the bat that I dosed ammonia to start the cycle. Sorry. :(

Just a little update...

Nitrites are still above 5ppm. Ammo continues to drop to zero. Scared for a possible repeat of a cycle I did a while back where nitrite was stalled for nearly three weeks.

Sup?

Nitrite has been stalled @ above 5ppm for two weeks. Is a PWC in order, or should I continue the waiting game?

Total time of cycle: 4 weeks.

Thats a tough call... If it were me, I would probably give it a few more days. A PWC would be in order, IMO, if its still holding strong after another 5 days or so. Its really your call of course, but sometimes its best to just let it takes its course on its own.

Thats a tough call... If it were me, I would probably give it a few more days. A PWC would be in order, IMO, if its still holding strong after another 5 days or so. Its really your call of course, but sometimes its best to just let it takes its course on its own.

Yeah, I agree with you. Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna wait it out. Oh, important thing....I'm going home for T-Giving on Wednesday night and probably won't be coming back to my apartment until Saturday or so. I may have to take a trip back here anyway to feed my frog. With this, though, I won't be able to dose ammonia for like two days. What should I do about this?

Got a raw cocktail shrimp? You could kind of do a combined method of dosing and the shrimp method... that should allow you to have a consistent amount of ammonia over the few days you'll be out... maybe others have better suggestions?

No but I can get one.....I did that once before and it was the most awkward thing ever, haha. I remember I didn't want to buy a whole thing of shrimp, so I had to ask for just one and the guy behind the counter gave me the weirdest look ever after I explained why I just wanted one. Gave it to me for free, though :-D

I like your idea, though.

Alright then, so a bit of an update...I swear every time I post for advice in this thread, things go my way! Tested nitrites twice just to make sure I wasn't seeing anything...the test takes longer to develop, usually it'd just go to straight dark purple but today it took a steady blue to dark purple. While still above 5ppm, in my experience once it takes longer to get to purple, a drop in nitrites is in site. Will post back.

Nitrite hit zero. :-D. Haven't tested nitrate yet, just too lazy lol (long day). So now, I'd say an ammonia source is pretty essential for when I'm away. Don't want to lose it!

So happy it hit zero.

Back
Top Bottom