Should I get my goldfish another fish to live with

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Little fishie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got this goldfish and he is acting extremely depressed, not moving at all and barely eating. I looked it up and here it said sometimes goldfish will get lonely, I want to get a second fish, but I don't want the 2 fish to hate each other, would it be safe to get another fish.

I'm getting a bigger tank today. But I'm thinking, should I get other fish. I'm worried that my fish and the other fish won't like each other

Goldfish are supposed to be pretty social; I would think it would be fine on that count.
A bigger issue I would think is the fish acting "depressed," in which case I'd check out the water quality before suspecting anything else. I would think in a 4 gallon tank he would be suffering from ammonia poisoning. Do you know your water parameter measurements-- ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? Have you read up on the nitrogen cycle? Here is a good article on starting an aquarium that has info and links on the nitrogen cycle. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/
If you are going to get a 50-60 gallon tank, great! I would wait to get another fish though, because you will have to do a fish-in cycle. Once the cycle is complete, you could maybe add two more (one at a time) if they are fancy goldfish. Common goldfish get huge and are better as pond fish.

I would suspect it is depressed because of water quality, since it is just a 4 gallon, if you are not doing daily water changes the water will get poisoned by ammonia/nitrites very quickly.

Get new stuff for it such as plants/rocks. Test your ammonia. It sounds like ammonia poisoning or boredom. It is not necessary to get another fish.

Back
Top Bottom