Should I upgrade filter ASAP?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Summer4

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I moved my four fancy goldfish from their old tank to their new 56g tank a week and a half ago. I used gravel that contained live bacteria, and old filter media. I have had ammonia levels everyday for the last few days between 0 & .25, nitrites 0, and nitrates 5.0. I currently have two Marineland Penguin 200's on my 56g....for a total of 400 gph. I know I need 560gph. I am planning on getting two Aquaclear 70's for a total of 600gph. I am only going to add one Aquaclear at a time so I don't restart my cycle. So for a time being I will have 500gph with the Marineland and the Aquaclear. My question is...can I wait two weeks to add the Aquaclear? Will they be ok for two more weeks at 400 gph of filtration? Or, should I get the new Aquaclear immediately (and will have 500gph)?

Do you think my ammonia levels are from the cycle completing from the tank switch, or from underfiltration? I have been doing daily water changes also.

Thanks!

:welcome: to AA! :)

The ammonia levels are probably from the fact that because your tank is new and because goldfish have hefty bioloads that your bacteria colony cannot take in as much bacteria as anticipated. I would recommend what you said above, and getting two Aquaclears would be great, awesome HOB filters IMO. :)

Hi all,
So reading through this post noted you have 56 column tank with similar filter to mine. Am I reading right that I should have filter that does 560 gph?
Sorry, I know this doesn't answer your question.

:welcome: to AA! :)

The ammonia levels are probably from the fact that because your tank is new and because goldfish have hefty bioloads that your bacteria colony cannot take in as much bacteria as anticipated. I would recommend what you said above, and getting two Aquaclears would be great, awesome HOB filters IMO. :)

Thank you for repsonding. I actually just added one of the penguin 200's about three days ago. So, it may not have time yet to establish a biological filter. I was told that if I replace even one of them I might create a mini cycle causing more harm...and that I should just use what I have. What do you think?

Hi all,
So reading through this post noted you have 56 column tank with similar filter to mine. Am I reading right that I should have filter that does 560 gph?
Sorry, I know this doesn't answer your question.

Hello,

You only need 10 times the filtration if you have goldfish. They are very messy fish and need the extra filtration.

When ever you upgrade tanks and filters, you always run the risk of a mini-cycle but you're better placed when you have live bacteria-infested filter media. Which you do, despite the readings you're seeing.

I prefer a bit of more filtration than what's generally recommended. IMO I'd rather be over than under. So, if it were me, I'd get the two Aquaclear filters you're after and stuff the filter pads from the penguins in each of them and you'll get both colonized quite quickly.

In the meantime, watch the readings and do as many PWCs as needed until they return to normal. Since you can seed your new filters, it really shouldn't be too long before you're fully cycled again.

When ever you upgrade tanks and filters, you always run the risk of a mini-cycle but you're better placed when you have live bacteria-infested filter media. Which you do, despite the readings you're seeing.

I prefer a bit of more filtration than what's generally recommended. IMO I'd rather be over than under. So, if it were me, I'd get the two Aquaclear filters you're after and stuff the filter pads from the penguins in each of them and you'll get both colonized quite quickly.

In the meantime, watch the readings and do as many PWCs as needed until they return to normal. Since you can seed your new filters, it really shouldn't be too long before you're fully cycled again.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if I could put my old filter cartriges in the Aquaclear since it looks a little different online, but if you say it will fit then I will try that.

Even if the cartridges don't fit, and they indeed may not, take out the brown gunk-laden pads, noodles and whatever else you have in there and just stuff it into the new filters on top of all the new filter & pads and other what not that comes with the new filter :)

You'll be shoving a lot in, but that's okay. You're probably safe to remove the old stiff and leave all the new stuff after around 6 weeks or so. After the new filter media had time to be inhabited.

Back
Top Bottom