should my tank be seeing nitrates after 1 week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeardedGourami

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently set up a top fin 20 gallon tank and am cycling with 2 zebra danios. I used all the equipment that it came with but after 6 days i upgraded the filter to the national geographic cf30 canister filter. I have been using the microbelift special blend and nite out per directions on bottle. I have done 3 water changes in a week and the ammonia hasnt risen above .25ppm. Also i didnt see any nitrite reading and now on day 10 i got a nitrate reading of 10ppm. Is that too soon to see a nitrate reading and no nitrite readings at all. Im new to the hobby and want to make sure its ready to add a few more fish.

When you upgraded, did you move all the filter media to the new filter?

You could be cycled since you added bacteria?
They are hit and miss but your test say you are good!
I have seen MANY cycles(both fish and fishless) that the owner never saw nitrItes ever.
They went from ammonia to nitrAtes and then were done.
Every cycle is different, but you sound like you are doing well for fish in cycling.
Add stock lightly and slowly.

When you upgraded, did you move all the filter media to the new filter?

I am running the old filter with the new one and they are still running together. I was gonna take out the old filter out after about 2 weeks of them running together.

You could be cycled since you added bacteria?
They are hit and miss but your test say you are good!
I have seen MANY cycles(both fish and fishless) that the owner never saw nitrItes ever.
They went from ammonia to nitrAtes and then were done.
Every cycle is different, but you sound like you are doing well for fish in cycling.
Add stock lightly and slowly.

Thanks for the reply. Thats what i figured. Im gonna keep testing every day this week just to be safe and if it stays the same i will slowly add fish.

Back
Top Bottom