Shrimp for cleaning 10g freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vol4Ever

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was assuming I'd use a few snails, but lfs has some pretty neat shrimp. Do they count towards the "inches of fish" bioload, or are they independent of the fish? Planning to have neons, platies, and a couple of guppies. Will they be good neighbors?

Theyd be great neighbors!! They dint count toward the 1" and that's just a rough estimate. They have virtually no bioload.

IMO/E, you could add shrimp with those species. Most people here will tell you that the inches per gallon guideline is highly flawed, but to answer your question, no the shrimp do not count. Their bioload is so small that you can add more of them into a smaller space than fish.
What kind of shrimp does your lfs have?

I can't remember exactly. Since I'm just under a week into cycling the tank, I'm figuring on having a couple more weeks to poke around (& continue to ask newb questions!). I know the inch per gallon thing ain't great, but I'm using it as a generic yardstick. At the moment I'm thinking

5 neons
2 platys
2 guppies
2-3 snails (or shrimp or both?)

I've got several threads going with different questions. Starting to wish I had just done 1 master topic called Vol's first 10 gallon - - questions galore. Or something like that. ;)

I personally think you could add both shrimp and snails. Make sure your platys and guppies are each the same gender unless you want babies. If you want babies, thats cool too, but you will run out of space pretty fast. Lol. I think some orange platys would look awesome with the neons!

AquaKai said:
:+1 on everything!

Are you saying I should boost each fish type by 1 more, or do you just mean that you agree with all of angel's comments?

I honestly would like 1 more type of fish (swordtail maybe), but I don't want to overcrowd. Just make a happy little fishie community. Ha!

I'm assuming shrimp and snails are like fish in that the tank has to be fully cycled before adding them in. Is that correct?

what kind of shrimp are you thinking about? RCS would most likely get gobbled up and so would most babies id get a bunch of java moss

No idea on what type of shrimp as I literally just started thinking about them. Very open to suggestions at this point. I was thinking all my planned stocking fish were small enough to not mess with the shrimp, but that's why I'm asking.

And, by the way, not planning to do any breeding or try for baby fishies so that's not a concern.

Back
Top Bottom