Shrimp Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueRaptor76

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’ve decided to get smaller tanks and fill them with shrimp. I as hoping to sell some shrimp eventually for enjoyment (not really profit) but I have a few questions:

1. Can I put dividers in my tank that allow water to be passed through but not fish?

2. What’s the best small tank filter and heater? (Preferably one that shrimplets can’t get sucked into)

I’ve decided to get smaller tanks and fill them with shrimp. I as hoping to sell some shrimp eventually for enjoyment (not really profit) but I have a few questions:

1. Can I put dividers in my tank that allow water to be passed through but not fish?

Yes you can, but shrimplets will certainly make it through. Maybe a fine sponge, but that will clog up and not allow as much water to pass through compared to a mesh

2. What’s the best small tank filter and heater? (Preferably one that shrimplets can’t get sucked into)

5.5 gallons are nice, 10 gallon, 20 gallon long would be best. Sponge filters are cheap and easy. Or a simple hand on back with an intake sponge will be safe. No heater needed with shrimp.

See bold

For 10 or 20 long you can use the foam tank dividers sold by FlipAquatics. These are precut for these (and other) tank sizes, are 2” thick, and have a pore rate of 35 pores per inch. This is the same material they use for the Hamburg matten filters.
I have been using these for dividers/filters in my shrimp tank since April. No signs of clogging or shrimp crawling over or through it (including fry).
No heater needed in most cases.

Back
Top Bottom