Single fish for 20 gal long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TropicalGirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an empty 20 gallon long tank that used to house a tropical community. I think I want to set it up, but keep it to one or two fish this time.

Any recommendations? I would rather be understocked than overstocked, and would like just one or if necessary, a pair, tropical or coldwater fish.

I've been considering a GBR or bolivian, some sort of apisto, a keyhole cichlid, or maybe a goldfish (one of the smaller breeds that is good in a 20). Would any of these fish be okay as a single in the tank? Would they be shy alone?

Could try an angel or one of the larger gouramis. My angel loved it when she had a tank all to herself :)

No goldfish. Pair of rams or apistos would be great, as would a single paradise fish. You could do the dwarf cichlids singly but they might be a bit more shy without dither fish around.

A paradise fish sounds intriguing, any ideas where I could order one? Aquabid doesn't seem to have many...

I was thinking maybe a keyhole cichlid?

A paradise fish sounds intriguing, any ideas where I could order one? Aquabid doesn't seem to have many... I was thinking maybe a keyhole cichlid?

I've seem paradise fish at my LFSs but as far as online goes liveaquaria probably has them (shipping would be a lot though just for one fish). Never had a keyhole before but if I were to guess I'd say a 20L would likely work fine, particularly if it is by itself. Could be wrong though.

I'm worried about aggression with dwarf puffers, I've heard horror stories of them ripping each other apart...

Shell dwellers
HUGE nano fish school (Rivercats has an awesome tank sort of like this)
Pair of dwarf cichlids

F8 puffer

or

I like demansoni but they are really mean i was thinking a single demansoni would be cool.

Back
Top Bottom