size tank and compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gwillbo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i want to get a 200ltr tank for 2 tiger oscars a red tail black shark, 2 pictus catfish and a common plec, will this size tank be ok?
and will these fish be ok together?

I know that common plecos can get 2 feet long, so a 55g (200l) isn't large enough for one. You could get a smaller type of pleco instead, like rubberlip or bristlenose, for that size of a tank.

I honestly don't think that oscars would be good in that size of a tank either (I've seen some rather large oscars), but I don't own any and don't know enough about them to say for certain.

i want to get a 200ltr tank for 2 tiger oscars a red tail black shark, 2 pictus catfish and a common plec, will this size tank be ok?
and will these fish be ok together?

With what your looking for a 600l would be the absolute minimum with those size fish and bioload. If your looking for cichlids a pair of Salvini's work well in a 200l tank. But of the fish you mentioned only the pictus would be suitable, and being a social fish really are better when stocked with at least five.

thanks guys i already have a red tail shark but really fancy some tiger oscars and pictus catfish, so may try some smaller cichlids species

There's alot of cichlids you could house with that tank, a pair of Salvini's would be cool, convicts or honduran red points, green terror, rainbows, or firemouths. Or the fish from the Rift Valley, some dwarf mbuna or brichardi would also work well. Just try and stick with something in the 6-8" range, stay away from the big boys until a six foot tank comes about.

Back
Top Bottom