Sizing my new aquarium...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thomas86

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am planning on buying an aquarium - I had different aquariums about 15 years ago. I am planning to buy an aquarium around 80 gallons, which shall be a planted aquarium with different kinds of fish. But how should the measurements be... ??? Should I focus on height, width og length... ???

It really depends on what type of fish you are going to keep; some need more room on the bottom and others like to stay near the top. All need plenty of room to swim.

My 55 gal is 48" wide x 22" high x 12" deep (front pane to back pane). A 75 gal tank has about the same measurements except the depth is 18" instead of 12".

I would figure out what type of fish you are interested in and then find out what thier needs are...

Just to finish out Deli's measurements, a standard 90 gallon is the same as a 75 gallon, but 5 inches taller.

Taller tanks make great looking show pieces for planted aquariums IMO. However, it's the surface area that determines your bio load. That's just one of the reasons to avoid hex tanks.

Just a note to the whole "depends on what type of fish" comment.

I keep african cichlids. They need lots of rockwork and caves. To get the rockwork and caves I want, I need to have lots of floor space to place the rocks and caves. So in my situation I would rather have a tank that has larger width and depth and is shorter, rather than a tank that holds the same amount of water but is taller with small width/depth. Other fish have different needs...

Hope that's not too confusing...

BTW, the surface area of the water (width x depth) is also very important as this is the point where oxygen enters the water. A really tall but skinny tank will have poorly oxygenated water for instance.

Back
Top Bottom