Skipping the cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fjords93

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently acquired about 8 small gold fish, I am not sure what type they are (see picture). I initially kept them in a large mason jar but after losing a couple and researching goldfish I discovered their high ammonia levels were probably the source of their deaths. I got a 3 gallon tank with an air stone and a small filtration system which has kept up well with the remaining four, but they are still over crowded. I purchased a used tank today and I am wondering how long I should wait to transfer them? They are extremely over crowded as it is and I know that they will quickly out grow the 15 gallon tank but I would like to keep them as comfortable as possible until I can find a pond or someone with a larger tank for them. Also could I get a Pleco to help with clean up? Or would that be too much for my tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

People are going to jump on you about keeping goldfish in anything smaller than like a 30 gallon. Let me start by saying congrats on learning about ammonia as its the biggest fish killer out there. As far as tank size, I figure if you keep up with the water changes and keep the water high quality, you are doing more for these goldfish thank most people who buy them, especially if they were feeder fish, so dont beat yourself up.

When starting a new tank, you need to cycle it. If you put your golds in the new one right away, you will have to check the ammonia and nitrite levels daily as any ammonia will burn their gills and they will die. Nitrites are also toxic and will kill them. while cycling with fish in, you need daily water changes and to be testing every day. It takes a long time and is a pain in the rear, but ive done it safely.

Nitrates form after the tank has started to cycle and arent as harmful as long as they are kept at lower amounts (10-20ppm). You will want to buy a test kit. I suggest api master test kit, and stay away from testing strips as they arent very reliable. Nitrates and Nitrites are not the same, but both part of the cycling process.

Make sure you are using a dechlorinating liquid when adding water or doing water changes. You will also need to purchase a siphon to vaccum the gravel for fish waste, which gold fish produce a ton of. They are cute buggers but poop up a storm.

It may seem overwhelming, but its not once you get the hang of it. What size is the new tank? I would suggest reading up on cycling a new tank with fish present as it will give you all the details you need. Ask as many questions as you can, even if repetitive. Personally, since you already have the fish...........I would set up the new one how you want it and put the goldfish in it right away. I would try and add things from their old tank to help jump-start the bacteria you need to cycle. Then I would test daily, maybe even twice daily and do water changes if you see any ammonia present at all. It can take a while, but you can do it if you are committed and water changes honestly only take like 10 minutes with a siphon. Welcome to the fish keeping hobby!!!

Also, with goldfish you do not need a heater most of the time. If you plan on keeping anything else besides them, you may need to buy one.

I think under these circumstances I would definitely ask your lFS for some filter medium, and throw this straight in to your filter, this should cycle your tank very quickly, as PPO said you need a bigger tank not soon but now.......

As said ill be repeating but will overlap some info. These are probably common goldfish which require more swimming space than their fantail variant. It is indeed a great thing that youve looked up your fish and realised your mistake which is what is important. Right now your priority is to place them in whatever possible space that has the largest cubic surface area . Adding a pleco will not help, and will actually worsen the problem. It is a well known issues for plecos to have a gigantic bioload, commons in particular. They usually eat up algae, not waste. Anyways keep us posted!

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

Yes, I forgot to mention no to the pleco. They get too big and you are already having issues with being overstocked. Plecos are misunderstood and sold as "algae eaters" when they are very young. People dont realize they can get HUGE, like a foot long, and often arent that great at cleaning vs. their own bio load.

Yes, I forgot to mention no to the pleco. They get too big and you are already having issues with being overstocked. Plecos are misunderstood and sold as "algae eaters" when they are very young. People dont realize they can get HUGE, like a foot long, and often arent that great at cleaning vs. their own bio load.
+1 Commons that are the ones you find in most casual lfs's will actually grow up toward 18" and produce more bioload than two oscars.

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

+1 Commons that are the ones you find in most casual lfs's will actually grow up toward 18" and produce more bioload than two oscars.

Yep. My daughter's preschool has a ~90 gallon tank with a ~14" Common Pleco. Even in a tank that size, it appears constricted.

Back
Top Bottom