Small Hardy Bottom Feeders for 15g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newgirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is a while off as I am learning from previous mistakes and adding fish slowly.

Curious about a small hardy bottom feeder - would prefer to stay away from shrimp as cannot seal the tank completely so I understand they could exit.

Have heard good things about cories but not sure I could add the required 5 or 6 to my tank without being overstocked.

Any thoughts? I am still going to clean gravel, etc. but would like to add a bottom feeder or two if poss.

I have 4 and they are just fine
So I'm sure you would be good adding 5 as they don't take up much room

Taylor

A 15 is a small tank, what else is in there? Can't tell whether you'd be overstocked w/out more info. Hara species catfish are very small, and not social like Cory cats.

Dwarf Corydoras.
C habrosus are my favorite. Less common in stores but awesome fish.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422608247.918259.jpg

I have mine in a 10g

You need to make sure your substrate isn't sharp. So smooth rounded gravel or sand are both okay. Live plants are appreciated.

Of the common Coreys, panda Coreys are a little smaller and may be an option as long as you don't keep your tank too warm.

Don't buy catfish as a cleanup crew. Buy catfish because you like them. Your tank will stay clean by regular water changes and vacuuming if needed. Bottom feeders need to be fed as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Otocinclus are a nice bottom feeder

I love Otos as well, I just don't think of them as a bottom feeder. Mine will eat food on the bottom, but at first all they wanted was soft green algae and biofilm. Later they'd eat flakes and Shrimp pellets as well as algae wafers and Repashy. Mine clean all the plant leaves and wood as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I rarely ever see my otos on the bottom.

I have a combination of habrosus and pygmaeus in my 16g, great little fish!

Back
Top Bottom