Small snail on new, unhappy anubias. Bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRingOfFire

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys, I am setting up a 270L and on a small anubias noticed dying/meshed/black/brown/spotted leaves within a couple of days. I cut all the bad leaves off and noticed this guy traversing the leaves today. To be sure, I gave him the hoik him down the sink.

Attached is the suspect and the pre-pruned anubias. Not sure how many more there are, if any..

Is he destroying the plant? Can I control these things by any means? Is someone able to ID the species of the Anubias, and the snail?

Thank you kindly in advance.

Jay

Attachments

• image-4031857863.jpg
    image-4031857863.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 54
  • image-78786999.jpg
    image-78786999.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 62
I'm kinda a newbie to aquariums and live plants and stuff, but when my anubias started to show brown spots, I put a root tab by the roots and the brown spots had cleared up by the next morning! So that may be from a nutrient deficiency. I'm not sure about the snails, though when I find little snails in my tanks I remove them, just in case they are doing damage...

That's just a ramshorn snail. They are harmless snails although they do tend to breed in the aquarium. Snails are pretty common in planted tanks and most people just find different ways of dealing with them.

As for the anubias, a picture would help figure out what the problem is.

That's just a ramshorn snail. They are harmless snails although they do tend to breed in the aquarium. Snails are pretty common in planted tanks and most people just find different ways of dealing with them.

As for the anubias, a picture would help figure out what the problem is.

Hi Mebbid, I have attached a pic of the Anubias in the original post.

Jayna

I must be half blind to have missed the pic of the plant but then again it is 4am so it's to be expected ^_^

How was the anubias when you bought it? Also, how long have you had it? Often aquarium plants are grown emersed or out of water and will usually require an adjustment period where some of its leaves will die off.

I must be half blind to have missed the pic of the plant but then again it is 4am so it's to be expected ^_^

How was the anubias when you bought it? Also, how long have you had it? Often aquarium plants are grown emersed or out of water and will usually require an adjustment period where some of its leaves will die off.

The Anubias was fine when I bought it, the leaves seemed hard but I'm sure that's how it is...it was completely underwater in the shop but had numerous snails on the roots. The tank is brand spankers; the ammonia, ph, nitrates/ites all are under control and the lighting is medium. Dosing potassium, flourish and stability every few days. Have pressurized co2 at light green on the DC.

Back
Top Bottom