Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Talking Small species tank -- please help me pick a species!!

I have a 17 gallon (64 liter) cube tank.

I would like to get 3 dwarf puffers, but feeding only live might be a problem : I live in a very rural area (access to pet shops limited) and I travel a lot, with a hubby who doesn't seem thrilled at the idea of the worms, etc. for when I am away. So, unfortunately, I am looking into alternatives.

What might be an alternative fish, knowing that I want :

1) a species tank
2) small species (obviously!)
3) a heavily planted tank (I have a green thumb and want to showcase the plants as well)
4) something with a BIG personality <=== very important criteria for me !
5) can accept flakes / pellets, etc if needed

The dwarf puffer meets all but the last criteria.

As for my water supply, I live in the Vichy region of France, so it is very good quality soft water with a neutral pH (6.5 - 7 ish)

Any ideas ideas would be greatly appreciated !

Old 09-09-2011, 11:56 PM   #2
New
Aquarium Advice FINatic

.....well, u can do a betta and some sort of non-nippy school of something, it doesn't fit the first criteria but would look nice IMO

Old 09-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

A spotted leaf fish might fit your description. They love to swim amongst the greenery looking for food. Plus, it is a little different than what most people keep.

Another option would be a couple rainbow fish. They are active, colorful, and interesting to watch.

Let us know what you decide.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its very easy to grow food for puffers. Snails are the top choice. My dwarf are the least of my concerns because I can get my wife to throw in a snail from my snail population salad bowl. Each snail is super tiny.. and takes less than a min to throw in enough snail to feed dwarfs.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:56 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I want to own and keep pufferfish

sadly, they are illegal in australia!
Old 09-10-2011, 02:56 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Everyone !

New
-- I like the idea of a betta, but I am trying to stay away from a school of anything as my tank is a cube and given the shape I don't think that would be ideal.

I have read that bettas actually prefer being alone (?), so if it comes to that I might consider a rescue of one of those sad creatures in their tiny bowls at the shop.

However, I really would prefer a type of fish where I could have a few, or even a m/f couple. Although, if bettas have larger than life personalities, I could be convinced...

Retired_AF
: don't spotted leaf fish get quite big? I only have 17g ! Hard to find any info on these, if you know of a source...

Terrance : Growing snails...hmmm, does seem practical but yuk! where do you keep them and the salad bowl? I guess I'd consider it, but would need to keep it somewhere hidden (again, potential source of hubby freak-out), and would need to know more about it in general. I have to admit that I might be a little to squeemish for that, but could be convinced. What can I say, I'm a bit of a girl that way....

Bubble_B0y: what a shame! Are you sure that even the dwarf ones are illegal?
Old 09-10-2011, 03:18 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

What about dwarf gouramis?

...or even multifasciatus cichilds ? (or would a planted tank not be compatible?)
Old 09-10-2011, 03:24 AM   #8
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
Everyone !

New
-- I like the idea of a betta, but I am trying to stay away from a school of anything as my tank is a cube and given the shape I don't think that would be ideal.

I have read that bettas actually prefer being alone (?), so if it comes to that I might consider a rescue of one of those sad creatures in their tiny bowls at the shop.

However, I really would prefer a type of fish where I could have a few, or even a m/f couple. Although, if bettas have larger than life personalities, I could be convinced...

Retired_AF
: don't spotted leaf fish get quite big? I only have 17g ! Hard to find any info on these, if you know of a source...

Terrance : Growing snails...hmmm, does seem practical but yuk! where do you keep them and the salad bowl? I guess I'd consider it, but would need to keep it somewhere hidden (again, potential source of hubby freak-out), and would need to know more about it in general. I have to admit that I might be a little to squeemish for that, but could be convinced. What can I say, I'm a bit of a girl that way....

Bubble_B0y: what a shame! Are you sure that even the dwarf ones are illegal?
Bettas do have big personalities, but if I was you I would raise the snails for the puffers. Its not so bad since they mostly go in their shells when you go to do anything to them anyhow.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes, all freshwater puffer fish are illegal to Australia.
Apparently they are a threat and pest to our natural wildlife.

only saltwater puffer fish are permitted.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble_B0y
yes, all freshwater puffer fish are illegal to Australia.
Apparently they are a threat and pest to our natural wildlife.

only saltwater puffer fish are permitted.
Kinda like how GloFish are not permitted in California, right?

And that really stinks. But I guess it wouldn't be good if a few puffers got out and started a population in Australia :P kinda like the hippos in columbia.

Tags
ick, spec, species, species tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com