small tank advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brit1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just want to get a small tank perhaps for a betta 2 1/2g or so. My question is regarding utilizing the tank to also add a little humidity to my bedroom. I know bettas have to have a top so they can't jump out which would inhibit moisture into the air. Any thoughts? brit

Small tanks can be more difficult to maintain, especially for a beginner. With just a betta, you'll do just fine, but if you can get a 5-10 gallon tank you'll have less struggle to maintain healthy water for your fish.

As for the humidity, water will evaporate regardless of the fact that you'll have a lid on the tank. Depending on the size of the tank you may or may not notice a difference in the air. If that is your only reason to have a tank, please get a humidifier instead.

thanks for responses. No that is not the only reason I would get a tank, just a bonus. Have had fish before but as we are seniors I thought I would go for a smaller set up and make it easier on myself. brit QUOTE=rmiller;2683131]Small tanks can be more difficult to maintain, especially for a beginner. With just a betta, you'll do just fine, but if you can get a 5-10 gallon tank you'll have less struggle to maintain healthy water for your fish.

As for the humidity, water will evaporate regardless of the fact that you'll have a lid on the tank. Depending on the size of the tank you may or may not notice a difference in the air. If that is your only reason to have a tank, please get a humidifier instead.[/QUOTE]

I would definitely go with the largest tank you feel comfortable maintaining. A 10 is nice because it offers a few more stocking options than a 5 and its not any more work to speak of.

Using a fish tank to add humidity to your bedroom isnt quite a good idea. Bettas DO jump, they can even squish themselves out of a dime sized hole and get out. I would say get a humidifier for your room, because you will definately need a tank that has a cover.

Maybe you could do a 10 gallon shrimp tank? Get some cheap red cherry shrimp and do weakly 1 gallon water changes. Should be easy maintenance.

My 5 gallon betta tank has a clip on lid with a cut out in one if the corners. There is a 1cm gap that runs around the edge. I would agree on getting a 10 gallon if you can. Not only would this open up some more stocking options but the betta or whatever fish you decide to get would be happier. I'm looking to upgrade to at least a 10 gal for my betta as soon as I can and maybe turn the 5 in to a shrimp tank.

Back
Top Bottom