Small tank:Huge filter...is fishless cycling absolutely necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
still not cheap but totally worth it. it will last you a pretty long time and will be vital in maintaining your tanks/fishes health.

i would test the ammonia about an hour or so after dosing, to see what it was dosed to. at the very beginning of the cycle i tested ammonia and nitrite every other to every two days until i started seeing a rise in nitrite. after that i would test daily for all 3 (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate). you will only need to start dosing ammonia back into the tank once it hits 0, which could take up to 3 weeks or so, maybe more.

Thanks mommytron...this is a good summary here.

So, when Ammonia hits zero after x days...when I re-dose, and it returns to zero within 24 hrs...it is cycled, am I right?

Hey folks....I posted this in Fishless for dummies, but thought I would ask it here, as you know the stage I am at :) Hopefully posting twice isn't too naughty....

Has anyone had any experience with Nutrafin Cycle?

I am four days into a fishless cycle, with Amm at 4ppm NO2 at 0ppm, and NO3 at 0ppm, and the guy in the local aquarium shop convinced me that I needed to add something like Cycle to the tank to kickstart the bacteria colony.

He said what I was doing was right, but that I was adding amm. to a sterile environment, and it needed the addition of the bacteria (Cycle)

When I told him I thought the bacteria was everywhere, in the air, hands, gravel etc, he convinced me that adding this live culture to the tank would greatly shorten the cycle time.

Was I sucked in? Go on...you can tell me....

When I came home, I tested the tank again...4ppm, then I added the recommended amount of Cycle, thinking it couldn't do any harm...and might just speed things up a little.

Do you think it was money down the drain?

everyone has different opinions on the product. i know there are at least a couple users on the site that like it. but you're right--it can't hurt! let us know how it goes for you. :)

Hiya Stickleback....I grew up for a time in Ireland, inside Dublin...and my grandfather was an avid fishkeeper. Most aquatic stores will test your water for free. I say...let your tank cycle...feed it with an ammonia source regularly, and around 2 weeks-3 weeks take in water samples until they test your ammonia and nitrites at zero.

Save up your money though, having your own test kit will be very useful.

Hey folks....I posted this in Fishless for dummies, but thought I would ask it here, as you know the stage I am at :) Hopefully posting twice isn't too naughty....

Has anyone had any experience with Nutrafin Cycle?

I am four days into a fishless cycle, with Amm at 4ppm NO2 at 0ppm, and NO3 at 0ppm, and the guy in the local aquarium shop convinced me that I needed to add something like Cycle to the tank to kickstart the bacteria colony.

He said what I was doing was right, but that I was adding amm. to a sterile environment, and it needed the addition of the bacteria (Cycle)

When I told him I thought the bacteria was everywhere, in the air, hands, gravel etc, he convinced me that adding this live culture to the tank would greatly shorten the cycle time.

Was I sucked in? Go on...you can tell me....

When I came home, I tested the tank again...4ppm, then I added the recommended amount of Cycle, thinking it couldn't do any harm...and might just speed things up a little.

Do you think it was money down the drain?

You could buy the product...or you could just ask him to give you some gravel from an established/disease free tank. That is free :) and loaded with the bacteria that you will need to seed your tank with.

Otherwise, the bacteria will grow on their own. I would recommend raising the temp to foster faster growth to about 26.5-27.5C until the cycle is done. then drop the temp to 20-22ish for the minnows.

You could buy the product...or you could just ask him to give you some gravel from an established/disease free tank. That is free :) and loaded with the bacteria that you will need to seed your tank with.

Otherwise, the bacteria will grow on their own. I would recommend raising the temp to foster faster growth to about 26.5-27.5C until the cycle is done. then drop the temp to 20-22ish for the minnows.

+1, good advice (wanted to rep you Kai but i have to spread some more around first ;))

You could buy the product...or you could just ask him to give you some gravel from an established/disease free tank.

I said to shop guy about gravel from an established tank, and he said that I wouldn't be sure what else I would get.

I bought it yesterday.
Tank was at Amm 4ppm, NO2 0ppm, NO3 0ppm, before I added the product.

Today (day 5 since I started the fishless cycle) the tank was reading
Amm 3ppm and NO2 .25ppm....so it seems to be starting !

The thing is, I don't really know what should be happening, if I hadn't started with the Cycle product.

Possibly on day 5, without seeding the tank, the NO2 would start to appear anyway...

Sounds like you actually have a good LFS guy and you are well on your way! I agree with him about the gravel from a tank, unless you know for SURE it's clean. :)

nice :) were you born here?
I have invested already :) no point in asking for advice, if I am not prepared to act on it (within reason)

I was born in the US to an Irish mother and a Canadian father hahaha. I think immigration tried to kick them out as soon as I was born because they were only there on holiday and without Visas. they drove in from Canada hehehe. I was born really premature. No one before me in my family was american. So, I have US, Ireland, and Canada passports. I live in the US now for university, but I grew up between Dublin, Marseille, FR and Saskatchewan, CA.

Back
Top Bottom