Small tank stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afterwinter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I am currently cycling a 6.6 gallon bookshelf tank(24lx8wx9h). It currently has a few small small anubias plants and I plan to have some java moss. I may add more plants as I become more confident. My filter is a Hagen Marina Slim S10.

I have been working on my stocking plan for while. I think I want to go with a betta tank. AqAdvisor says I can also have 5-6 dwarf corycats but I am unsure if that would really work. I wouldn't want to make any fish ill.

If you think I can safely have the corys as well as the betta, which should I stock first? Could I also fit in a nerite snail and a few shrimp? I just want to be sure I am going to keep my fish and tank healthy. Thanks so much!

Betta, pair of scarlet badis, or shrimp.

I'd go with just the Betta, that's a big bioload with the corys.

Pygmy cories are small and known to work with most bettas. Shrimp are hit or miss.

Stocking:
4 Pygmy cories
1 Betta
4 Amano shrimp (maybe)
1 Nerite or mystery snail.

Never heard of snails having problems with bettas.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks for the recommendations :) I love corys but maybe I should stick with the betta for now. I wouldn't want them to be unhappy in a small group.

So I have been fishless cycling for 5 weeks. I just realized I have no been adding enough ammonia and now I feel like I am going to be starting over. Would adding something like SafeStart ruin my cycle or help speed things up a little? I definitely have some good bacteria already but not enough to take care of 3-4ppm of ammonia. I feel so lame and also feel like I am starting over again after 5 weeks. Next time I am definitely going to make a spreadsheet to keep track better! Thanks for any help!

I wouldn't say you are starting over, and I don't think you need 3 - 4 ppm. 2-3 should be enough to cycle it. My cycle took almost 5 weeks with seeded filter material. If you're starting from scratch it could really just be taking that long. If you are seeing bb (nitrates) then you are likely just still cycling.

I wouldn't say you are starting over, and I don't think you need 3 - 4 ppm. 2-3 should be enough to cycle it. My cycle took almost 5 weeks with seeded filter material. If you're starting from scratch it could really just be taking that long. If you are seeing bb (nitrates) then you are likely just still cycling.

I kept mine at a solid 4ppm during cycling and had seeded filter media. 2 weeks and I was cycled. It's just more food for the bacteria.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks for the replies! I got nervous after my husband pointed out I wasn't adding enough ammonia. I am setting this up for my little boy so I would prefer not to lose any fish. Even without any fish yet he is super excited about looking into the tank. I guess I just need some patience :)

Bettas often bite the antennae off mystery snails. Nerites are more protected.

I'd keep it under stocked, and add some floating plants.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Scarlet badis are awesome little fish, you could easily do a 2F/1M trio. I keep mine with RCS.

A pair or trio of killifish would also work.

Pair of peacock gudgeons (my current favorite!).

I love all the micro rasboras available, very active and great color. Recently got some dwarf amber rasboras (Barboides gracilis), smallest fish I've ever kept.

Personally I wouldn't do small cories in that size tank. I have both pygmaeus and habrosus and they're very active little fish!

The spouse's 5g has red rili shrimp, a betta, and a small group of green rasboras.

Bettas often bite the antennae off mystery snails. Nerites are more protected.

I'd keep it under stocked, and add some floating plants.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Depends on the Betta. Mine ignores the mystery snail.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Oh my gosh, thanks for all of the suggestions! I had thought about micro species. I keep look at Msjinkzd. I figured a Betta would be best for my 2 year old to see. I thought I couldn't have both without the Betta trying to eat the other fish.

I also love the look of Killifish and Peacocks but thought they needed a bigger tank. I am not sure I am up to the challenge yet of a live food eater as far as the other fish go.

One day I really want at least a 20 long with a few different schools of small fish. Since we are moving at some point this year I figured a small tank would be much easier to manage.

She has nice fish and is great to work with. I also highly recommend Wet Spot Tropicals, huge selection of fish and again, nice people. Never had a problem buying fish from either.

Yay, my tank finally cycled! Now I kind of wish I had gotten the 20 Long to start.

I still think the betta would be easiest for my 2 year old to see. I think I will try a betta with 2 nerite snails and 5 cherry shrimp(I am hoping the fact that they are very pale to start will help them hide before they color up). That would bring my stocking to 63% on AqAdvisor.

I would love to have some microrasbora but I should probably see if he goes after the shrimp first. What are some microrasbora that would work and in what quantity? I can't thank everyone enough for all of the help :)

Yay, my tank finally cycled! Now I kind of wish I had gotten the 20 Long to start.

I still think the betta would be easiest for my 2 year old to see. I think I will try a betta with 2 nerite snails and 5 cherry shrimp(I am hoping the fact that they are very pale to start will help them hide before they color up). That would bring my stocking to 63% on AqAdvisor.

I would love to have some microrasbora but I should probably see if he goes after the shrimp first. What are some microrasbora that would work and in what quantity? I can't thank everyone enough for all of the help :)

Going to let your 2 year old help shop for the betta?

It sounds like a very nice setup, just make sure there are lots of hiding places for the shrimp.

And the little fish:

Dwarf amber barb (Barboides gracilis)
Chili rasbora (Boraras brigittae)
Exclamation point rasbora (Boraras brigittae)
Green rasbora (Microdevario kubotai)
Micro rasbora (Boraras micros)
Phoenix rasbora (Boraras merah)
Pygmy rasbora (Boraras maculatus)
Strawberry rasbora (Boraras naevus)

I'm probably missing some, it's Monday :whistle:

Make sure you share photos of the tank (y)

Thanks so much!
My son is definitely going to help me choose the betta :) He has been going to look at them with me and keeps asking when we will have our "fishies". We are very lucky to have a local shop willing to order for us. They have been so helpful in answering my cycling questions too.

Thanks so much!
My son is definitely going to help me choose the betta :) He has been going to look at them with me and keeps asking when we will have our "fishies". We are very lucky to have a local shop willing to order for us. They have been so helpful in answering my cycling questions too.

A helpful, reliable lfs is priceless in this hobby!

Did you tell him he could name the betta too?

This was my son's betta tank, he had a lot of fun helping with it:

img_3190029_0_41e5c436cde1f045bc754bd77bd15987.jpg

Very cute tank! When we get the fish I am going to have to figure out how to post pictures :)

I hope he will help name the betta. So far he isn't the most confident in helping name things. If he does my guess is the fish will be called Nemo, Dory or Lightning McQueen haha.

Very cute tank! When we get the fish I am going to have to figure out how to post pictures :)

I hope he will help name the betta. So far he isn't the most confident in helping name things. If he does my guess is the fish will be called Nemo, Dory or Lightning McQueen haha.

Easiest way I found to post pics is open a Photobucket account, upload there, then insert the link into your post.

My 18 year old college girl still calls clownfish Nemos...and of course the betta we bought on Pi Day is named Pi :whistle:

In a moment of pity we wound up buying a Betta with a damaged tail. I think he has fin rot. I imagine from being in such poor conditions. Everything else looks good and he is very curious. Should I medicate him or will be ok now that he is a tank with healthy water? I think he is going to be beautiful. He has already colored up considerably. I just hope I can nurse him back to health.

Back
Top Bottom