Smelly tank not sure why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moncrief2315

Aquarium Advice Regular
IMG_0001.jpg
Hi I have an established 46 gallon bow front cichlid tank. I keep up on my water changes don’t over feed water Parms are ph 8.1 ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 10 ppm water temp 80. About a day after my water change my tank starts to stink. Only think new is the fake wood thing in the back. From PetSmart. I took everything out except the fish and gravel to see if anything was dead nothing there checked the decor. nothing. I know when I dump the water out from the fake wood thing it stinks but not like the tank does when I open the lid. And sometimes I can smell it when I walk past the tank. Is the anyway I can really clean it with out harming the fish? Thanks

That’s probably the reason. Mine used to be like that when it was new. Purigen or carbon will take the smell out

Just lightly vacuum the surface. Deep cleaning maybe throwing your tank into a mini cycle.

Only deep clean 2-3 times a year. When you do this only deep clean 1/3 of your tank. Then the next week do the next 1/3 and so on until it's finished.

Back
Top Bottom