Snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caitlynnanne9189

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Where the heck did this guy come from? And now I seem to have a ton of little tiny ones. Help!! What can I do! I don't want a ton of snails!!

Attachments

• image-1458590408.jpg
    image-1458590408.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 83
  • image-1982673348.jpg
    image-1982673348.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 89
So pretty! Have you recently added any new live plants to your aquarium? Sometimes they can hitch hike on them.

Well you can pick them out, but more than likely they will multiply faster than you can get them out. You can get some assassin snails and they will eat them. Assassin do multiply, but slowly. I had a problem a few months back and had to totally take my tank down and clean it really well. It did get rid of the snails though.

Awe man! No I never got any live plants. Only fish. No snails. :( I guess I'm up for a battle. I don't wanna take my whole tank apart.

Just don't over feed and they shouldn't be much of a problem. I actually enjoy the snails in my tanks, they help with keeping it clean. For example my niece dumped a LOT of fish food in the other day, I vacuumed a lot of it out but some went into the corners under plants and such, within 12 hours the sand was spotless again.

You can try baiting them with a piece of cucumber overnight. I've read that can work. When you go to the tank in the morning there should be alot of snails on or around it. You'd have to weight it down of course. I believe cucumbers float.

They look like ramshorn snails. I have abiut 50 in my tank too. Most people consider them as pest becouse they multiply quickly. I have found them to be a bliss to keep my tank clean and shiny.:)

Feed only enough that your fish can eat quickly and Food is not going to the bottom. They don't really harm anything. No extra food no rates snails. :)

I have been watching my feeding and trying to catch them. It seems like they just pop up everyday but the aren't ugly so that's a plus. I'll just keep trying to keep them under controll

Fishguy1997 said:
If you don't want so many get a clown loach I heard they eat snails

I tried 2 clown loaches didn't eat a single one. On the other hand puffer fish will eat them. More danger than good.

Try feeding way less. To a pinch even every other day. I use to break a single flake into small pieces than wait until they eat every piece than feed more. Just try to feed everyone about the size of their eyes. It will keep waste, algae and snails down.

OMG I hate Snails!!! I've tried feeding less and it doesn't matter in my tank. They don't clean my tank for crap, just hang on filters and heaters. I watch each piece of food get eaten and they are still there. I personally feel that once you have snails, you can't get rid of them entirely. Clown loaches MAY eat them but they get real big too. Yoyo loaches are better, but will they actually eat snails, it depends on the tank and the fish. I'd try the veggy trick or just keep taking them out to keep them under control. Assassin snails do work but I heard they will only eat snails of similar size which is pointless when you have 20 monsters stuck to the glass. I hate snails, I hate snails, I hate snails.

Heera said:
I tried 2 clown loaches didn't eat a single one. On the other hand puffer fish will eat them. More danger than good.

Try feeding way less. To a pinch even every other day. I use to break a single flake into small pieces than wait until they eat every piece than feed more. Just try to feed everyone about the size of their eyes. It will keep waste, algae and snails down.

Don't want to hijack the thread- but is that all the fish need to eat?? Cause if so I must be over feeding.

To OP: did you try the cucumber bait yet? I read if you drop a slice in at night, when you turn the lights on in the morning the snails will be all over it. Then you take out the cucumber with the snails that are on it.

Awe man! No I never got any live plants. Only fish. No snails. :( I guess I'm up for a battle. I don't wanna take my whole tank apart.

After doing some online research I got 12 assassin snails. They're pretty and do eat all the ramshorn snails and MTS. Again, they breed slowly and easier to control the population.

Bearchumjs said:
Don't want to hijack the thread- but is that all the fish need to eat?? Cause if so I must be over feeding.

To OP: did you try the cucumber bait yet? I read if you drop a slice in at night, when you turn the lights on in the morning the snails will be all over it. Then you take out the cucumber with the snails that are on it.

Most of us do overfeed. In the wild fish do eat more in quantity but throughout the day. Food in the wild is not as nutritious as flakes or pellets.

I been feeding just like I explained for a year. Everything is doing great.

Back
Top Bottom