Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garjam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've just found half a dozen snails in my newly started tank all that's is there is 2 platys and 2 swordtails and a few plants just want to know how to get rid of them and where have they come from many thank
Gary

Put a piece of lettuce into the tankat Lights Out. Weigh it down to the bottom. 4 hours after the lights turn off, Take it. Many snails should be on it.

If your tank is big enough, look at getting a clown loach. They like warm water however, make sure it fits into your big picture.

They usually hitch a ride on live plants. Sometimes they're too small to see until they are grown and already in your tank. That's why if you want to be cautious about preventing unwanted guests in your tank, there are plant cleansing/disinfecting procedures you can follow. Anyway, since they are there now you can either pick them out by hand or place a piece of lettuce in the tank overnight. In the morning, all the snails "should" be on the lettuce in which you can remove and discard. Repeat the process as needed. Good luck!

Getting rid of Snails

I've just found half a dozen snails in my newly started tank all that's is there is 2 platys and 2 swordtails and a few plants just want to know how to get rid of them and where have they come from many thank
Gary

Hello G...

Snails are good for your tank. If they resemble a ram's horn, then they'll eat most forms of algae and any dead plant and fish material.

To get rid of them, get a small glass jar and wedge a raw, cucumber slice in it. Set the jar on the bottom of the tank for a day or so. The snails will go into the jar to eat the veggie and you just remove the jar along with the snails.

You can crush the snails and drop them into the tank. They'll be good nutrition for your fish.

B

Thanks all. Ok if they are good for the tank I don't mind one or two but will they breed like wild fire is they any way to keep the numbers down cause I've had 6 over night my tank is only a 25 litre

Controlling Snails

Thanks all. Ok if they are good for the tank I don't mind one or two but will they breed like wild fire is they any way to keep the numbers down cause I've had 6 over night my tank is only a 25 litre

Hello again G...

The "Ramshorn" variety I keep in my tanks do mulitply quickly. It depends on food availability. If you over feed your fish, have dead plant or fish material in the tank, then you'll have a lot of them.

Just watch how much you feed, take care of your plants and in general, keep the tank clean. In addition, do the jar thing when you feel the need and that should keep the snail population in check.

B

Thanks B
Should the jar thing get rid /collect all the snails in one go or have they left eggs or young else where

Controlling Snails

Hello again Gar...

The jar will only deal with the snails able to get to the cucumber, not the eggs left behind, unless eggs are laid in the jar. However, the more snails you trap, the fewer eggs there will be to hatch.

B

Back
Top Bottom