Snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought some live plants in a new tank I am setting up. There is nothing else in the tank at this point, except the plants as far as I know. I found what looks like a drop of gel with a bunch of small dots in it attached to one of the leaves of the plant. I think they're snail eggs. At any rate, I clipped the leaf off and tossed it. I'm just worried there might be a snail running loose in the tank. These things can mate with themselves, right? Is there anything I can do to look out for snails and how do I remove them?

theotheragentm said:
I bought some live plants in a new tank I am setting up. There is nothing else in the tank at this point, except the plants as far as I know. I found what looks like a drop of gel with a bunch of small dots in it attached to one of the leaves of the plant. I think they're snail eggs. At any rate, I clipped the leaf off and tossed it. I'm just worried there might be a snail running loose in the tank. These things can mate with themselves, right? Is there anything I can do to look out for snails and how do I remove them?
depends on what kind of snail it was...some snails are actualy good for a planted tank...

you could get a loach or two for the tank if it is big enough, they eat snails...

I hear that thouroughly rinsing your plants in COLD water is the best to get rid of snail eggs. They probably came with the plants if you cannot see any snails in your tank.

I'm not seeing any snails, but I don't really know how large they should be or what color either. I'm just trying to give a thorough look through on the plants. I guess I will just have to see.

Just this morning I was looking at my tank. planted for a week and fish added yesterday.
I was going to ask what they would be. The small dots in gel on my hair grass.
There are about 5 snails that came with the plants and some duck weed?
Anyway my 5 year old son calls the snails his little mates.
Farma

The common types of snails that come with plants cannot reproduce asexually. If you just have one, you're fine. Regardless, the snails do not hurt plants or fish, so there's no reason to be too concerned. They are actually a good thing, since they clean up excess food. As long as you don't overfeed the tank, their population will stay in check. If you really don't want them, just pick them off the glass as you see them, before they start reproducing.

Back
Top Bottom