Snails? Fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
On some of the leaves of my java fern there are these stick like fuzz on it. I'm thinking baby snails that just hatched
Or fungus maybe. I hope it's not bad.

It's difficult to see, but Malaysian Trumpet Snails usually look like little sticks. On the bottom photo I am seeing three baby MTS snails I guess?

How do you get rid of them? It seems they are only on my java ferns. Should I get rid of the fern before it gets bad?

MTS usually breed according to the food available, I therefore view them as beneficial and never had to get rid of them, so I can't help there. :( Usually if you have babies you can see there's a whole lot more you can't because they live in the substrate. They'll eat any food your fish miss and only really explode in population if you overfeed. Food is probably the best way to control them... Maybe an assassin snail would eat them? Someone else can confirm I'm sure... Good luck. :)

Tim Wheatley said:
MTS usually breed according to the food available, I therefore view them as beneficial and never had to get rid of them, so I can't help there. :( Usually if you have babies you can see there's a whole lot more you can't because they live in the substrate. They'll eat any food your fish miss and only really explode in population if you overfeed. Food is probably the best way to control them... Maybe an assassin snail would eat them? Someone else can confirm I'm sure... Good luck. :)

It seems that I got it from the plant that I bought. Eggs hatching probably. As long I don't overfeed that it won't multiply? I read a thread about cucumber traps. I might try that. I don't see any live ones though. Just those in the pic. Thanks.

Those in the pic are probably alive. MTS are great survivors. They do breathe air so you could always try picking them out of the tank each time you see one climbing the glass and gradually they'll disappear... Another option would be to put an algae wafer in there until you see them swarm all over it and grab them then.

This, of course, assumes it is what I think it is. :)

Tim Wheatley said:
Those in the pic are probably alive. MTS are great survivors. They do breathe air so you could always try picking them out of the tank each time you see one and gradually they'll disappear... Another option would be to put an algae wafer in there until you see them swarm all over it and grab them then.

This, of course, assumes it is what I think it is. :)

I already have a cucumber in the tank. I'll try the algae wafer as well. Thanks Tim!

Back
Top Bottom