Snails in my tank during cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yaioa

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I have discovered tiny snails in my tank. I am new to all this and am 10 days into cycling my first ever aquarium. I have tried to follow advice from this site. I have put substrate, gravel and plants in it. I have filter, heater, CO2 supply and I also got seed from a friends established tank ( water squeezed from his filter ) which I put into my filter. He doesn't have any snails in his tank. Can the snails have come from the plants and more importantly, will they harm my tank? I don't have any fish yet and I am using ammonia to cycle the tank. What should I do about snails? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi I have discovered tiny snails in my tank. I am new to all this and am 10 days into cycling my first ever aquarium. I have tried to follow advice from this site. I have put substrate, gravel and plants in it. I have filter, heater, CO2 supply and I also got seed from a friends established tank ( water squeezed from his filter ) which I put into my filter. He doesn't have any snails in his tank. Can the snails have come from the plants and more importantly, will they harm my tank? I don't have any fish yet and I am using ammonia to cycle the tank. What should I do about snails? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Where did you get your plants from? I think I've read about some plants that come from petsmart or petco someone's have snails in them.

Most live plants can come with snails. The most common are pond snails, which are harmless and can actually help clean the tank, but there are other types of aquarium snails too. Pond snails can breed quite rapidly though. You can either keep them (they may not like the ammonia in the tank though) and no they won't harm the tank at all, see if your friend wants them or um dispose of them (I'd kill them first with a hammer or something though so that it's quick).

IMO....Although pond snails can be of good assistance...they breed a lot and you will have thousands before you know it becoming a nussiance ....rid them now if its not what you want

Back
Top Bottom