Sneaking the subject--QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishingforfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
My parents had it through with fish tanks (despite only having one 10g tank) but I know I'm going to need a QT sooner or later. I've heard of people using plastic containers as a QT, and I plan to use that method (more convenient for my situation)...but I have a problem.

I really don't want to cycle the QT; the rest of my stock is small (4 cories, one gourami, that's it!) and my parents want it temporary, because there's not much space.
HOWEVER, I don't have an extra filter running on my DT (can't fit), and the filter on my DT can't really fit another cartridge either. I have an Aqueon 10 QuietFlow filter for reference. It may fit, but it would have to be a really small piece.

What should I do beyond this point?? I could just end up doing water changes but I don't wanna do anything before I get opinions.

Thanks. :)

Its a personal choice IMO. I don't keep my QT tank set up all of the time & I don't keep an extra filter running on any of my tanks. My theoryt is I would be doing frequent water changes anyways, especially if treating a sick fish.

Its a personal choice IMO. I don't keep my QT tank set up all of the time & I don't keep an extra filter running on any of my tanks. My theoryt is I would be doing frequent water changes anyways, especially if treating a sick fish.

When you QT a new fish, how often do you do a water change? I think it would be better that way.

if the fish is looking healthy, weekly or biweekly water changes. if it is showing signs of disease daily water changes

So it would be fine if the tank was uncycled and I just did water changes? I'm gonna be quarantining false julii cories and a gourami (on separate times)

So it would be fine if the tank was uncycled and I just did water changes? I'm gonna be quarantining false julii cories and a gourami (on separate times)

if you check the levels in the tank often, yes. if its uncycled you will likely have to do more than 2 changes a week. if there is a disease present and the fish dies you will have to thoroughly clean the tank, killing the beneficial bacteria, so i never keep my qt tanks cycled just check the levels daily and do water changes as needed. when i qt i usually do 4-5 water changes a week anyway because its super easy to do water changes in a 10 g tank and pristine water is always good for their health

What aquandrew said! I find it easier just to do the extra water changes for a few weeks or so than to keep a QT tank cycled 24/7. I do my best to QT new fish for 3-4 wks but I usually get impatient to add them to the main tank & only QT for 2 wks. I've had to pull fish back out of the main tank because of my lack of patience. :-o

if you check the levels in the tank often, yes. if its uncycled you will likely have to do more than 2 changes a week. if there is a disease present and the fish dies you will have to thoroughly clean the tank, killing the beneficial bacteria, so i never keep my qt tanks cycled just check the levels daily and do water changes as needed. when i qt i usually do 4-5 water changes a week anyway because its super easy to do water changes in a 10 g tank and pristine water is always good for their health

Alright, thanks!

What aquandrew said! I find it easier just to do the extra water changes for a few weeks or so than to keep a QT tank cycled 24/7. I do my best to QT new fish for 3-4 wks but I usually get impatient to add them to the main tank & only QT for 2 wks. I've had to pull fish back out of the main tank because of my lack of patience. :-o

Lol I know how you feel! I swear I almost gave up on cycling because I read that it takes a month or even more, but I actually finished pretty early! I'm just too impatient haha :x

Lol I know how you feel! I swear I almost gave up on cycling because I read that it takes a month or even more, but I actually finished pretty early! I'm just too impatient haha :x

Btw, is it really necessary to have 2 different gravel vacs and buckets for the QT and DT?

Btw, is it really necessary to have 2 different gravel vacs and buckets for the QT and DT?

i use a different one for mine because i have 6 tanks and i would be devastated if i lost a whole tank again. you don't need to use a gravel vac in a qt tank just a siphon will get the stuff off the bottom using no substrate.

i use a different one for mine because i have 6 tanks and i would be devastated if i lost a whole tank again. you don't need to use a gravel vac in a qt tank just a siphon will get the stuff off the bottom using no substrate.

Broke aquarist idea--would it be fine if I used airline tubing and just sucked on the end to start a siphon and clean out the bottom? Lol I have extra airline tubing hanging around but I don't know if the tube would be big enough to suck up what's on the bottom. Oh lord haha

it would take a very long time to siphon. menards/home depot has clear tubing for pretty cheap. i use air line hose to siphon if there is any uneaten food on the bottom because it siphons so slow.(happens when my girlfriend feeds the fish because she doesn't know how much to feed lol)

I used to suck on the end of a tube to syphon. Regularly got a gob full of fish water. (I was a kid then - think 8-9 years old) but still, if you need to medicate the water for example, you want to be super careful! Is there really absolutely no way you can get a small sponge filter? If there is absolutely no space for the filter itself, you could squeeze the sponge in somewhere? Only my two cents. For water changes on my qt, I literally use a small plastic jug to scoop water out and refill.

For the price of a bottle, some gravel, batting, airline tubing, and an airstone you could easily make a diy sponge filter.

Guys, I bought a 5g kit today. Lol I just needed to buy the heater separate because it only came with the filter, water conditioner and all that jazz. I didn't even think my parents would let me, but today they were in a good mood (for some reason). So there goes the container idea. :)

I think I may just use a plastic pitcher to get water out (thanks for the idea Mcor!), and use the tubing to get things left on the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom