So, about that cichild tank i meight set up..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygurl

Aquarium Advice Freak
IT will be a while before I get this tank but here is the plan. If anyone sees any potential problems then say so. Thanks

Tank: 55-75 gallon (does anyone know the difference in price approximately?)

Substrate: PFS with CC mixed in, since the PH here is around 7.0

Filter:

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22583;category_id=1711;pcid1=2885;pcid2=

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22045;category_id=1711;pcid1=2885;pcid2=

Which one should I choose? Also would these be alright if I went with a 75? I know Cichilds are messy fish.

Heater:
if 55: 2 200 or 1 300 or 1 250 Which?
If 75: 1 300 or 1 300 and 1 100 Which?

Lighting:
I have NO idea... I need something that will bring out the coloration of the fish, but the bulb still needs to be suitable for plants since im going to try to grow some Java Fern Opinions/advice?

Rocks:
Also under question. Probably lava rock, although i was thinking about limestone

Plants: As already mentioned Probably just Java fern and java Moss, Possibly some Anubis

Fish:
Im really not sure about any of this... Tentative stocking plan:

2 pairs of yellow labs
1 pair Cobalts (possibly 2?)
4 Acei's
4 red zebra cichlids

Any one see any problems or things that could be improved?

TIA

I am not sure on the price differences in Canada, so I can't help you with that. But in the states, the difference is not too much. I would go with the 75 gal over a 55 since you are looking at Africans. Bigger is always better with them.

I have a Cascade 1000 on my 55 gal tank and it is a great filter. But since you are going to be keeping Africans, you may want to up that to a 1200 regardless of the tank size. I don't have personal experience with the Fluval so I can not compare the two. Maybe someone who has used both can chime in.

For a 55 gal tank, I would use one 250 Watt heater. But if you upgrade to the 75, I would use two 200 watt heaters. Stealth's are my favorite.

50/50 and Actinic bulbs really bring out the coloration of Africans but they are not so good with plants.

Try using several flat surfave stones. I love lava rocks (they are in all of my tanks except one), but Africans like large flat surfaces.

The stocking plan that you listed sounds great for a 75 gal tank. I would go with the 2 pairs of cobalts since they like to be in groupings. If you decide on a 55 gal, I would remove one of the groups.

Although one member on AA, travis simonson, has a wonderful planted cichlid tank, it generally does not work. I have tried to add plants to my Mbuna tank, but they don't last long. Those fish are vegetarians and do love their veggies! I know Travis picked his fish carefully (or lucked out) since they do not eat his plants down to the roots. Here are two links to his gorgeous tank and in the postings you will find what he uses/recommends as lighting and substrate http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=74677 http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=39189&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 He uses lace rock and wood to allow the fish to hide and anchor some plants. My Mbuna tank is barren compared to his, but it is more along the lines of a biotope with only lace rock stacked on top of each other to create caves http://www.aquariumadvice.com/download.php?id=9159

I would get the 504 fluval for cichlids, especially if its a 75gal. I have the 404 on my 55gal, I could probably go with the 504 seeing as my bichirs are so messy.

For lighting...You could always get a NO light strip that holds 2 48" bulb with daylight bulbs, and if you wanted add a third actinic bulb to bring out the color. That would be a good low light set up for a 75gal.

As far as heaters I have 1 200watt in my 55gal, which is not really the prefered method of heating, but it works fine for me. I keep it right next to the filter intake so the hot water is circulated better.

I beilieve limestone and some marbles will raise your pH wich won't really be nessecary if you have crushed coral in your substrate. I personally really like the look of slate rocks, but the rocks are mostly a personal opinon. You just need to make sure you know whether or not it will raise your pH over time, and if you want that.

Yellow labs would be much better with 1m/3f instead of 2 pairs, same with any mbuna-type cichlid. A really colorful mix would be 12 demasoni with 4 yellow labs and 4 red zebras. You would want at least 12 to minimize aggression for any particular individual. That would be non-stop activity, brilliant colors, and eventually fry. Canister filters are fine, but for the same money you could put 2 Aquaclear 110's on the tank. They have a lifetime warranty, and pump 500 GPH. Limestone is free, you can find it everywhere, and will help buffer the pH, along with the crushed coral. The only difference between a 55/75 gallon is height, they're both 4'x1' at the base. As for plants, in an african tank, the plastic kind will last much longer. Yellow labs eat java moss, not sure about java fern, never tried that, but would expect the same result.

I wouldn't worry about a ratio with the fish that you chose. They are pretty docile. The labs and cobalts are both imposssible to sex until they reach adult hood (except for venting).

Back
Top Bottom