So bummed :( my angelfish has turned mean!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
Went to LFS today to finish out my school of cories and ended up coming home with a Bolivian ram as well as the cories. I am absolutely in love with this Bolivian ram, it's so pretty! I get them acclimated and released them in the tank, at first the ram was hanging around with my angel and they were getting along great. The ram has just been swimming around not bothering anyone... Then out of no where my angel has been chasing the ram and will not leave it alone. I know I've always went on about angels being my favorite fish.... But no more. Bolivian ram is hands down my favorite now. I'm calling LFS tomorrow in hopes they will take my angel back even though I bought him like a month or so ago... I'm absolutely in love with this ram. The ram has a bent tail so I got him for a few dollars off, he was the most lively and colorful ram of the 4 they had so I went with it :)

Attachments

• image-4038816598.jpg
    image-4038816598.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 174
I adored mine and miss him! Congrats!

What if you change all the decor around to reset the angel's territory?

TOMatt said:
That sucks. Any chance it was just short-term territorial issues?

It's been going on for an hour and counting.. My danios are even getting in on it :( they are not even bothering my other fish at all, they are all over the ram and the ram only.

That tends to happen to new fish; the fish in the tank have already established territories and they see they new fish as a threat. It should calm down in a few days or so. You can try moving around some decorations; that'll throw off established territories so everyone has to start over again. If the fish is getting injured though that's a different story but if it's just chasing it should calm down soon. It's hard to watch though :(

librarygirl said:
That tends to happen to new fish; the fish in the tank have already established territories and they see they new fish as a threat. It should calm down in a few days or so. You can try moving around some decorations; that'll throw off established territories so everyone has to start over again. If the fish is getting injured though that's a different story but if it's just chasing it should calm down soon. It's hard to watch though :(

My angel has only done this with one other time- when i got some flying foxes. When I added my giant danios and cories and my albino pleco my angel didn't touch them and still haven't. If my angel and danios are still after it in the morning I will call LFS and if they wont take them back I'll figure something out. LFS has been good about accepting fish that don't work together, they always tell me if they don't work to call and they will work something out.

Ok so this might help u.... Try to remove the angel for a bit then put it back or what has also worked for me is just chasing the "mean fish" with the net, it settles them down, like you really need to do it like to are trying to catch them to remove them n wear them down it takes the focus off bullying n by the time they calm down from that they usually forget what they were doing :)

I agree with librarygirl, my angel did this as well. It took almost two weeks for him to settle down and now he gets along with everyone. There is always a short period when the pecking order is being established that this will happen. My vote is to stick with it, move things around as suggested and keep a close eye on them. Sad to say but everyone always picks on the new kid.

I have two tanks each with a pair of B. Rams and Angelfish in them, and this is common behavior. It's just posturing for the most part. I've never seen an actual bite where damage occurred. They're cichlids, so you can expect this to happen. In fact, I'm pleasantly surprised that this is the extent of it, because I've seen what cichlids can do when they get aggressive, and it can lead to the death of a fish or severe trauma. Angelfish and Rams, while territorial to a degree, are far more peaceful by comparison to a lot of Africans, etc.

Basically what they do is the equivalent of a school bully lunging forward at someone to make them flinch, never actually striking them.

As long as nobody gets hurt, just leave it be. I wish my tank was completely peaceful, but that's just not going to happen with cichlids.

I talked to LFS, they said they would take back my angel and danios and give me a credit. I'm honestly leaning towards takin them back and getting something else completely, I am absolutely in love with this ram and I just don't think they are a good fit for him, plus they don't compliment him well. Just a scenario: I do have cories, if I was to get another ram and spawning was to happen... Would that cause complete havoc on the cories like out them in danger? Would I better off to keep just a single ram and add a nice size school of say maybe a bleeding heart/bloodfin tetras?

A pair wants 24" of tank width. They will drive the cories out if it - cories may want the eggs. Not necessarily injuring, but stress that you probably wouldn't like.
Bloodfin tetra have an awesome lifespan! 10 years.

CoryFan said:
A pair wants 24" of tank width. They will drive the cories out if it - cories may want the eggs. Not necessarily injuring, but stress that you probably wouldn't like.
Bloodfin tetra have an awesome lifespan! 10 years.

Ok that answers my question. I may get more
Cories to add to my school now. I'll update with what I end up with in a bit! Going to LFS now.

UPDATE: So I decided to keep my Cory school
At 5 for now. I needed a few extra plants do with my credit I got a school of 6 serpae tetras. After acclimating and releasing them they split up
Into 2 groups of 3 for a little but now they all found each other are back in one group. Happy to report that no one is bothering my ram now :) I thought I got all my danios out... Get to LFS and i only had 4 danios and i thought it mustve jumped out on the car ride to lfs. I get home, go look all over my car and didnt find it, So I start my weekly PWC I look down in the container I keep my net in by my tank.. And there it is. So my stock now includes a lone giant danio (totally by mistake lol), 1 Bolivian ram, 6 serpae tetras, 1 balloon Molly, 5 cories (mixed species 3 are bronze and I'm not sure of the other 2 I have, they are spotted but aren't julli cories), and 1 albino pleco. Very very content with my tank now :)

CoryFan said:
Well, congratulations! I love serpae tetra. So colorful.

They are doing great. My ram even swims and hangs out with them a good bit, all getting along great :)

Went to LFS today to finish out my school of cories and ended up coming home with a Bolivian ram as well as the cories. I am absolutely in love with this Bolivian ram, it's so pretty! I get them acclimated and released them in the tank, at first the ram was hanging around with my angel and they were getting along great. The ram has just been swimming around not bothering anyone... Then out of no where my angel has been chasing the ram and will not leave it alone. I know I've always went on about angels being my favorite fish.... But no more. Bolivian ram is hands down my favorite now. I'm calling LFS tomorrow in hopes they will take my angel back even though I bought him like a month or so ago... I'm absolutely in love with this ram. The ram has a bent tail so I got him for a few dollars off, he was the most lively and colorful ram of the 4 they had so I went with it :)

Awh this fish is quite cute :)

Had a similar problem with an angel in my current tank when a new fish was added. It was solved literally within 20 minutes of adding another angel. As soon as it had another angel to stick with it instantly left everything else alone. Almost like it was bullying cos it had nothing else to do. There are another 2 angels aswell that are paired so it wasnt even alone it was just left out.

Didnt read every post in thread so i dont know what u did with it but theres some food for thought at least.

Back
Top Bottom