so confused about PH.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a problem with a tank destabilizing after it was stable for three months. I decided that maybe my gravel type was the problem (went to my LPS).

They recommended a CaribSea Instant Aquarium gravel. I chose the Peace River since it's these small tiny rocks so the food is easier to remove and doesn't create such a mess down at the bottom. Basically, you don't end up with tons of stuff falling through - the food waste seems to settle around the top (per my gourmet LPS store). Also, the instant gravel has bacteria already built into it. They pre-did that. Basically, that means the cycling process is less than a week and I've done this with multiple tanks and they all seem to be very stable plus it's a whole lot easier to get the gunk out of the bottom.

Since you're already in a pickle, why not look into that gravel? You can order it from Petco online. It's not available in their stores - guess too high of an end product due to the bacteria already being in the gravel. Just move the fish into a bucket with their water - dump the old gravel - insert the new bacteria laden gravel - give it an hour to let all the bacteria stuff settle and reinsert the fish. I suspect you'll be less stressed out. I was doing water changes for months after my tank destabilized and my problem involved the gravel being too big and holding too much gunk. Now, my tanks seem darn stable.

Please don't yell at me guys but I do have a higher end gourmet store that uses this gravel in all their tanks as they claim the size of the gravel helps with cleanup. They also recommend it to their clients as it reduces fish loss. Just to warn you, look at the gravel size as they are true to their numbers. Mine is tiny. They have some so fine they look like sand!

CaribSea Dry Aragonite | Aragamax Sugar Sized Sand | Aragamax Select | Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand | Fiji Pink Reef Sand | Flamingo Reef Sand | Bermuda Pink | Grand Bahamas Biome | Super Reef

I forgot to mention - you don't rinse this gravel out. You put everything into your tank with water. The gravel is in a special liquid that's the bacteria so it's pre-seeded.

Mudraker,

Mine has small stones...not Argonite. Basically, it's pebbles that are tiny. You need to click on the link and you'll see that it directs you to the link for the different types of substrates used in Instant Aquarium - freshwater tanks.

Unfortunately, that links description is deceptive and doesn't show what the actual substrates are for instant aquariums. I suspect you just read the list and didn't go to the site or you'd have caught that one.

I don't know why it showed up saying that other than on the side panel (since it's a frame html site), they list all their products and its pulling from that list in the HTML link.

Sorry - I should have clarified that the list in the html link wasn't listing the actual substrates involved. They do more than saltwater substrates. You have to read the actual description of each to figure out what's appropriate for your tank. I have a freshwater and they (the LPS) recommended Peace River, River Grande, and Torpedo Beach.

Yep, cycling with fish is tough, but it can be done successfully.

I know its not the norm, but my fish in tank cycled in two weeks, the fishless one, is still going. IMO as long as your fish are cared for and water parameters maintained, it all comes down to personal preferance. In tank cycling, obviously requires alot more work on the keepers part.

Well, you're right there. The fish are what's important. :) It's just amazing what they now have out there to help set up tanks. I remember growing up and they didn't have half of the products they have now. :)

Back
Top Bottom