Some Advice for a newbie please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LaDama6589

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I got this 20 gallon freshwater tank because my six year old daughter wanted one and growing up I had a few as well... I've never cycled a tank before or anything so I'm just trying to get it straight. I don't want any dead fish on my hands. So I've had the tank 3-4 weeks. I bought the API master test kit today and did my first partial water change. I'm concerned someone put food in the tank when I wasn't home... There's a lot at the bottom and I'm not sure what to do to get rid of it. The water just started looking cloudy yesterday. Not much but enough to concern me and also annoy because I'm so OCD. My levels ph 6.6, ammonia 1.0, nitrite .25, nitrate 5.0.... So according to all the reading I've been doing that doesn't seem to good but not horrible either. Also why is my filter cartridge orange?! Is that normal? I rinsed it when I did the water change (with fishtank water). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

hi there, I'm a newbie too but from my experience of over feeding fish the water does become cloudy and the food will eventually grow mould on it which is rather dangerous for your fish...i would definitely clean it from the bottom as much as possible using the siphon gravel vacume so this problem wont start : ) also clean all decorations top , hope i helped

The orange could be the color from your substrate. I am using pool filter sand and it turned my sponge orange as it removed all the smaller dust. The water change probably stirred up some dust from the substrate and clouded the water. I have put quilt stuffing into my filter to clear up my water and it worked great.

@Alyce_19 thank you... I ordered a gravel vacuum on amazon.... Should be here in a few days...

Yep, poly fil, really cheap and works great. I replaced it three or four times when I first put sand in my tank as it removed the sand

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Quilt stuffing, poly fill, etc, is a really cheap wonderful filter item !!! The only consideration that needs addressing is to be sure is NOT to use any that has been treated with fire retardant chemicals. It will clearly state this on the bag. If not, ask a store associate. If they can't tell you, DON'T buy it !!! ANY chemically treated poly fill WILL KILL YOUR FISH !!!

So the cheapest is better for your fish, less likely to be treated.

I am still cycling but I don't plan on changing the poly fil very often, only when the tank starts to look cloudy again. The reason I changed it so much already was the first couple of days with the sand and I wanted to make sure that I was cleaning it as quickly as possible as I didn't prewash the sand. After two days my water was clear.

While we're talking about filtration I have a marina s20 power filter coming in the mail... Any thoughts on it? Right now I have this cheap looking great choice filter that came with my tank

Most people will tell you to get a filter rated for double your tank size. I have an AquaClear 70 on a 35g tank. I find it quite and allows me to easily change or clean the filter material. Down the road I plan on getting a Fluval C4 to do a side by side comparison. Then I'm buying a second of the one I like most to run two on a larger tank and keep the old one for this tank.
These are both around 50$.

I have not researched the marina brand, but you may find a Fluval or AquaClear for around the same price

So the cheapest is better for your fish, less likely to be treated.

I am still cycling but I don't plan on changing the poly fil very often, only when the tank starts to look cloudy again. The reason I changed it so much already was the first couple of days with the sand and I wanted to make sure that I was cleaning it as quickly as possible as I didn't prewash the sand. After two days my water was clear.

Not necessarily true about cheap being better. You could find the cheapest to have the least amount of treatment added.

Most people will tell you to get a filter rated for double your tank size. I have an AquaClear 70 on a 35g tank. I find it quite and allows me to easily change or clean the filter material. Down the road I plan on getting a Fluval C4 to do a side by side comparison. Then I'm buying a second of the one I like most to run two on a larger tank and keep the old one for this tank.
These are both around 50$.

I have not researched the marina brand, but you may find a Fluval or AquaClear for around the same price

I'll give you some money saving advice about your desires to do a side by side comparison of these. Hägen is the parent company of Fluval. Aquaclear was purchased by Hägen. Fluval and Aquaclear will compare with very little difference. Fwiw, I run all Fluval on all of my tanks, both canister and HOB's and have always been quite impressed.

I'll give you some money saving advice about your desires to do a side by side comparison of these. Hägen is the parent company of Fluval. Aquaclear was purchased by Hägen. Fluval and Aquaclear will compare with very little difference. Fwiw, I run all Fluval on all of my tanks, both canister and HOB's and have always been quite impressed.

The things that I am wanting to compare are how easy it is to clean, how quiet they are, and how it moves the water for the different types of filtration.

The things that I am wanting to compare are how easy it is to clean, how quiet they are, and how it moves the water for the different types of filtration.

Gotcha !!! I'll give you this then. My air pumps make more noise than any of the filters. When you do the comparison, I'd love to hear the results. Let me know please.

Will do! It might be a few months is all.

Back
Top Bottom