Some advice for a novice please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nettie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I set up a new 10 US Gal tank 8weeks ago. It is now fully cycled and ready to stock.
I have read up on firstly introducing hardy fish and also the need of bottom, middle and surface feeders to ensure the community tank is populated correctly and not over crowded in areas.

Below is my plan, could anyone advise me if I'm on the right track? :confused:

Week 1) 6 Neon tetra

Week 4) 4 Barbs / Guppies

Week 8) 2 Angel Fish

Week 12) 1 Catfish

Any advice welcomed.

Only thing I can point out wrong with the stocking is the angelfish will find neons to be a good snack as they mature.

You also need a much bigger tank 0.0

Ok thanks for info.

Any suggestions on replacement to Angels? Gourami maybe?

If you get gourami, you will be overstocked. Just the neons, barbs, maybe catfish depending on what kind, will be good. If you really want one, get ONE dwarf male gourami. Yeah, don't keep angels in a 10 gal with other fish. 10 gal with angels will only be good to one pair of them. What type of catfish are you getting?
Also, waiting a month to put in other fish is excessive after you cycled the tank for 2 months. I would just get all the fish on one day and put them in or else after such a long time, some fish will gain territory and mark it. Newer fish will not know of the territory and might swim into it and get into a fight. But you can wait a week or a few days if you want.

I see, so gradual intoducing of fish is because the tank is not cycled? If I was to get a Gourami I would probably would introduce fish at a similar time. I kept fish a long time ago and recall gourami sometimes being aggressive and territorial.
Was thinking cory catfish?

I see, so gradual intoducing of fish is because the tank is not cycled? If I was to get a Gourami I would probably would introduce fish at a similar time. I kept fish a long time ago and recall gourami sometimes being aggressive and territorial.
Was thinking cory catfish?

If you get Cory, you must get at least 3 because they are schooling fish. Is your tank planted? Maybe you should get this:

4-5 neon tetras
3 barbs or 1 gourami
3 corys
1 mystery snail or some shrimp

I follow this rule: when stocking a new tank, put the most peaceful fish in first, and the aggressive, territorial ones last. That way the non-aggressive ones can get acquainted with their surroundings without a fish mowing them down.

^ and that stocking list is good, go for it :)

I follow this rule: when stocking a new tank, put the most peaceful fish in first, and the aggressive, territorial ones last. That way the non-aggressive ones can get acquainted with their surroundings without a fish mowing them down.

^ and that stocking list is good, go for it :)

That is a good rule but I can't follow it because I don't get aggressive fish. Lol
Only community fish.

Gouramis are semi-aggressive. But they have different personalities like bettas, so Nettie can do it.

If you want multiple gourami, the ratio of male to female must be 1:2 or else the males will fight each other. Yeah, some gouramis are nicer than others and will not bother other fish.

Back
Top Bottom