Some advice please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckeyehunt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all,
I am new to this forum and wanted to get some advice and suggestions. I was recently given a 150 gallon tank with stand, and a bunch of other dead coral and accessories to get it up and running. (I will try and post pics.) The previous owner had both, salt and freshwater, but I am leaning towards freshwater once I get everything cleaned up and prepared. Does anyone know of any good literature, other than learning from forums, that would be helpful in setting up a healthy aquarium of this size? I am leaning towards a Cichlid tank but will also take some suggestion of what others may have in this size and what works for them. We plan to move within the next year, so I will obviously wait to set it up until then, but would like to start cleaning everything and make an attempt to make everything look like new. I plan to make my own hood with light fixtures, so it matches my stand. I also plan to strip the paint on the stand (in the picture), and stain the wood. I know all of the above really depends on so many circumstances/preferences, but any advice you all can give to a newcomer, would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4064(1).jpg
    IMG_4064(1).jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4062(4).jpg
    IMG_4062(4).jpg
    207 KB · Views: 60
I don't have recommendations for books but standing the tank on the side like that makes me very nervous! Both for it tipping and just for structural integrity. The tanks are very heavy and I could be wrong but I feel like that is not good for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Beej, thanks for your concern. That picture was taken right after I unloaded it from my truck; it was placed on the stand the same day, as soon as I could get some help.

Back
Top Bottom