Some final questions before fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm, did some checking. Looks like the Panda Cory's are the lowest temp. They like a range of 69-75 from what I see. The GBR likes the highest low end temp, at 78 (which is hotter than the hot for the Pandas only). Looks like, other than the Panda's I could be 79-80 would be a nice split of temps for everyone.

Lets hear what other have to say. What other bottom feeders can I look at instead (though I really like the Panda's).

HELP,
Sean

Broke EF said:
While we are all here, Ill tell a quick little story! I stopped by my LFS yesterday in perpetration of getting fish soon. I wanted to see what they had in stock, and ask about ordering. I was planning on draining my tank, and doing some work on the stand (wiring) and some stuff in the tank. Plus I already knew that my Nitrates were off the scale, so a large water change was on order anyway.

So when we were there, the wife saw the Diamond Tetra (and fell in love), so I was thinking MAYBE I could get those the same day. When the guy comes over, I start asking questions and he seems to know a good amount. So I mention that I need to drain my tank to do some work, and he freaks out. He tells me that if I drain it, I will loose all of my BB and I will have to start all over with my cycle if I drain the tank. I told him that I need to do a large water change anyway because my Nitrates are off the scale, and he says that is not a problem?!?

He is also telling me to add the fish slowly, and do not get all 6 (at the time) Diamond Tetras at once. I tell him my tank is fully cycled and process 4ppm of ammonia in less than 24 hours. He tells me that it is not cycled, and tells me to buy a bottle of bacteria...

So after that, and a few other things, I just nodded and said good bye. It is a very nice LFS, and their tanks (and fish) always look nice, plus they have a great variety, so I will still go back. I will just avoid that employee :) I figured you guys would get a kick out of that.

Sean

Yep, I had a seemingly knowledgable LFS guy tell me that assassin snails are brackish the other day.

Broke EF said:
Hmmm, did some checking. Looks like the Panda Cory's are the lowest temp. They like a range of 69-75 from what I see. The GBR likes the highest low end temp, at 78 (which is hotter than the hot for the Pandas only). Looks like, other than the Panda's I could be 79-80 would be a nice split of temps for everyone.

Lets hear what other have to say. What other bottom feeders can I look at instead (though I really like the Panda's).

HELP,
Sean

IME my bronze cories are fine with my GBR in 82-84 F temp.

WOO HOO!!! I am acclimating 6 Lemon Tetras right now!!!! This is my first time putting fish in a tank in a LONG time, so wish me luck :) I will probably have pics this weekend.

Sean

Broke EF said:
WOO HOO!!! I am acclimating 6 Lemon Tetras right now!!!! This is my first time putting fish in a tank in a LONG time, so wish me luck :) I will probably have pics this weekend.

Sean

YEAH!!!!! Nice!!! Too bad no one will believe you until you post some good ol' pictures ;)

LOL, Photography is another hobby of mine, so there will be pics. I just put them in, and they are shy when the light is on. So I will let them get more comfortable before turning the light on. I gave them a small pinch of food, and they ate it. They also seem to be moving around a good amount. They stay in a school, and go to one section, then back to the hiding spot, then to another area then back to the hiding spot! I love em already :D

Sean

Broke EF said:
LOL, Photography is another hobby of mine, so there will be pics. I just put them in, and they are shy when the light is on. So I will let them get more comfortable before turning the light on. I gave them a small pinch of food, and they ate it. They also seem to be moving around a good amount. They stay in a school, and go to one section, then back to the hiding spot, then to another area then back to the hiding spot! I love em already :D

Sean

Dude awesome! Yes, pics tomrrow. I dont recommend turning the lights on the first day especially. Could freak the little guys out. I love lemons too, but i also love my glowlight tetras. Maybe look into those for your next school;)

Woo hoo congrats! Enjoy your fish! Can't wait for pics! I agree, let them hang out in the dark for the first day/night, then tomorrow you can get a good look at them. :D

just one quick cell phone pic :)

Sean

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111201_200848.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111201_200848.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 87
This morning they gave me a scare. I looked in as soon as I woke up, and only saw 5?!?! But the other guy was being different and hanging out in the corner. After I got ready and looked in again they were all hanging out together again :) The wife fed them a small pinch of food today when she got home, and she said the gobbled it up. So that is good, because I know a lot of times new fish may not eat right away.

I wish I could have gone home and seen them today. On the weekends I have to travel go work on the race car, so I wont be able to get any good pics till tomorrow. I also need to test the water again tomorrow as my Nitrates were way high before I dropped them in yesterday. I did a big water change to bring them inline before they went in though. So I just want check it again and make sure its is good for my fishies!

Sean

Broke EF said:
This morning they gave me a scare. I looked in as soon as I woke up, and only saw 5?!?! But the other guy was being different and hanging out in the corner. After I got ready and looked in again they were all hanging out together again :) The wife fed them a small pinch of food today when she got home, and she said the gobbled it up. So that is good, because I know a lot of times new fish may not eat right away.

I wish I could have gone home and seen them today. On the weekends I have to travel go work on the race car, so I wont be able to get any good pics till tomorrow. I also need to test the water again tomorrow as my Nitrates were way high before I dropped them in yesterday. I did a big water change to bring them inline before they went in though. So I just want check it again and make sure its is good for my fishies!

Sean

Nice! Sounds awesome! I always like to see my fish eat right away, it makes ya feel good! I suggest teaching the Mrs. How to do water changes and test, thats a good thing for her to know if your gone on weekends!

I looked in on them a little bit ago, and saw this guy hanging in the bottom of the tank. He's not looking so good to me, what do the experts think. When i got home around 5 they were all active and ate well. Now at about 10 they are all spread out.

Sean

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111203_224118.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111203_224118.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 68
Broke EF said:
I looked in on them a little bit ago, and saw this guy hanging in the bottom of the tank. He's not looking so good to me, what do the experts think. When i got home around 5 they were all active and ate well. Now at about 10 they are all spread out.

Sean

Hm, what does he do, does he swim much? He doesnt look to bad, and his coloration hasent faded much. Were the lights off and then you turned them on when you saw him? They are probably spread out just because they are exploring, and feel more comfortable

When I took that pic he was just chillin' in that spot, but really none of the fish were doing a whole lot. The light was off, and I turned it on. Hos coloration looked not so good, but I know that 2 a lot brighter, 2 a very pale, and 2 are in the middle. So that could have been one of the pale ones, and away from the group it looks worse (and add in the no movement). Also I tested the water when I got home around 5 and the Nitrates were about 20ppm, so I am planing a partial water change in the morning. I am also going to add some more fish hopefully. I am hoping they have the Diamond tetras, and the Panda Corys.

But while we are talking, I had some question on a few more things. How long (and what times) should I have the light on? This is not a planted tank, but the fish seem more freaked out when the light is on. Also, I am currently running my air pump on a timer so that its off when we are sleeping. I have it programmed to run from 6am to 9pm Monday-Friday, and 9am to 10pm Saturday and Sunday. Is this a problem for the fish? I don't think it is, but figured Id ask. Next up is feeding, how much and how often. So far I have given them a small pinch each day, but as I add more fish I'm not really sure what to do. I am feeding them Omega One tropical flake food currently.

I also got a few pictures today before I had to go out again. Ill put them up tomorrow after I add in the new fish. Thanks for all of the help guys.

Sean

When I took that pic he was just chillin' in that spot, but really none of the fish were doing a whole lot. The light was off, and I turned it on. Hos coloration looked not so good, but I know that 2 a lot brighter, 2 a very pale, and 2 are in the middle. So that could have been one of the pale ones, and away from the group it looks worse (and add in the no movement). Also I tested the water when I got home around 5 and the Nitrates were about 20ppm, so I am planing a partial water change in the morning. I am also going to add some more fish hopefully. I am hoping they have the Diamond tetras, and the Panda Corys.

But while we are talking, I had some question on a few more things. How long (and what times) should I have the light on? This is not a planted tank, but the fish seem more freaked out when the light is on. Also, I am currently running my air pump on a timer so that its off when we are sleeping. I have it programmed to run from 6am to 9pm Monday-Friday, and 9am to 10pm Saturday and Sunday. Is this a problem for the fish? I don't think it is, but figured Id ask. Next up is feeding, how much and how often. So far I have given them a small pinch each day, but as I add more fish I'm not really sure what to do. I am feeding them Omega One tropical flake food currently.

I also got a few pictures today before I had to go out again. Ill put them up tomorrow after I add in the new fish. Thanks for all of the help guys.

Sean

I wouldn't worry too much if you had the lights off and then turned them on and saw it. Fish can get paler when the lights are off and they are resting and sometimes the light being turned on suddenly can stun them for a second or two.

As for the lights, if you don't have live plants it's up to you when you want to have them on. Fish probably don't care either way but you want to give them a day/night cycle, so just make sure they aren't on all the time and give them dark periods overnight. If you're home and want to see them, you can turn it on. If your'e not home, you can leave it off.

I don't think the air stone being off sometimes would be an issue as long as your filters give some surface agitation. If you see them hanging around the top gasping for air in the morning then that could be an indication that you either need more movement from your filters or to leave the air stone on at night, but otherwise I think it's fine.

Feeding is tricky particularly with a lot of fish (I'm still getting the hang of it lol). I'd start with the amount you are feeding now and then watch them. If all the food is gone within a minute or two and all of the fish feed then you're fine. If there's some food left after a few minutes then you're overfeeding. If the food is gone after a few minutes and some of the fish didn't get any then you can add a small pinch more. It's really an experiment to figure out what the right amount to add is. Also fish do like variety; flakes can be their staple food but substituting flakes for something else once or twice a week can be good for them, such as some frozen food (I'd avoid freeze-dried as it can cause bloating issues) or algae or veggie wafers. I also feed my fish thawed, deshelled frozen peas one day per week (today is pea day in fact and they are going nuts for them now) and fast them the next day.

Also if you get Corys they like to feed after lights out sometimes so supplementing them with some shrimp pellets or algae wafers after lights-out 2-3x per week can be good for them too.

librarygirl said:
I wouldn't worry too much if you had the lights off and then turned them on and saw it. Fish can get paler when the lights are off and they are resting and sometimes the light being turned on suddenly can stun them for a second or two.

As for the lights, if you don't have live plants it's up to you when you want to have them on. Fish probably don't care either way but you want to give them a day/night cycle, so just make sure they aren't on all the time and give them dark periods overnight. If you're home and want to see them, you can turn it on. If your'e not home, you can leave it off.

I don't think the air stone being off sometimes would be an issue as long as your filters give some surface agitation. If you see them hanging around the top gasping for air in the morning then that could be an indication that you either need more movement from your filters or to leave the air stone on at night, but otherwise I think it's fine.

Feeding is tricky particularly with a lot of fish (I'm still getting the hang of it lol). I'd start with the amount you are feeding now and then watch them. If all the food is gone within a minute or two and all of the fish feed then you're fine. If there's some food left after a few minutes then you're overfeeding. If the food is gone after a few minutes and some of the fish didn't get any then you can add a small pinch more. It's really an experiment to figure out what the right amount to add is. Also fish do like variety; flakes can be their staple food but substituting flakes for something else once or twice a week can be good for them, such as some frozen food (I'd avoid freeze-dried as it can cause bloating issues) or algae or veggie wafers. I also feed my fish thawed, deshelled frozen peas one day per week (today is pea day in fact and they are going nuts for them now) and fast them the next day.

Also if you get Corys they like to feed after lights out sometimes so supplementing them with some shrimp pellets or algae wafers after lights-out 2-3x per week can be good for them too.

Lol i was juuust about to say this...+1 library girl!! As for the feeding, i pretty much have somthing new on the menue every day...its not lile they CANT eat flakes eery day, but i like to think they like the variety :D

Back
Top Bottom