Some Questions :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WizardHowl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Guys,
First of all, I really appreciate all the help i've gotten so far. But I have more questions.
Today, I set up my 55 galon, with 120 pounds of eco complete. I also added the water, and tomorrow I will get some more fish and cycle them with bio spira. However, I have some questions

1. How important is levelness? After adding all my water, I noticed that the right side of the tank's water was about 1/4 of an inch higher than the left side (I based this measurement because the water on the right side was level with the tank trim, and the left was 1/4 of an inch lower). Will this cause problems?

2. Does anyone know if the coralife light fixtures (48 inch 4x65 watt, actinic and pc) have loud fans normally? It seems like this is abnormally loud and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks!

1. It is possible the top trim is off a bit, if that is not the case I would empty the tank and level it before you have the fish etc. 1/4" is a good bit off level.

Yikes! 1/4"? Yeah, measure that trim to see if its off. If not, you can place a piece of styrofoam or that pink insulation foam between the stank and the tank and that should help level it.
I have a coralife 28w CF for my 10 g, and it makes no noise at all. It's only about a third of the sized of yours, though. So the noise may be normal for your fixture, but I'm just sayin its not normal across the board.
Also, you don't really need those actinic bulbs. Switch 'em out for daylight bulbs. Your plants will like it better.

Eek, so even 1/4 inch is a lot?

How do you m easure if the trim is off?

Whats the best way to level? II don't have one of those bubble level things.

So this will really make a difference that small 1/4 of an inch?

I will eventually switch out the actniics. Although I really like the look of the combination of both. Right now I'd get over 2 WPG so that's decen enough for some plants.

Thanks

Take measurements from the bottom of the tank up to the trim for all 4 corners; they should be identical, if they are not, the trim is likely off-kilter.

If the trim looks ok, make sure the stand and flooring below your setup aren't somehow involved. A typical AGA 55 (tank, water, ~50lbs of substrate) weighs nearly 600lbs, so that leaves me to believe you're closer to 650lbs. I would not wedge anything in-between the tank and the stand. The entire bottom edge of the aquarium frame is weight-bearing in most designs. Improper support around the entire bottom is just asking for trouble. You MIGHT be able to get away with wedging something under one or more legs of the stand to level it out. Just be careful!

Good luck! (note: 4x65w = 260watts/55 = 4.72??)

Two of the 65 w are actnics which don't count I heard
Thanks for your help!

Leave the actnics in until you add pressurized co2. If you run the full 260 watts of plant spectrum lights without co2 you will have just created an algae factory. :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom