Someone explain what is going on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KantGetRite

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55g that has cycled. I originally had 5 platys, a dwarf gourami, 5 neon tetras. I went and bought an Angel and 4 guppies. The next two days my gourami and tetras have died. I noticed that there was a lot of shedding of their slime coats and so I've been treating for fungus. They seem to be doing ok, but I'm super paranoid ATM.

Here is my setup and my readings:

I have an aqueon 55/75 filter.

My readings are:

pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0-.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0-5.0ppm

So any ideas as to what might be wrong? I don't want my angel or guppies to die.

Might have over loaded the system, I introduce a disease into the system. If its not fuzzy looking its not a fungus, my bet would be a bacteria. Give Rivercats a pm she should be able to help

An ammonia spike is a possibility. How long has this tank been up and running?

It is most likely that whatever killed your fish was already in the tank spreading before the introduction of the fish. It's rare to have a bacterial infection work fast enough to kill fish in 2 days. Were they exhibiting any symptoms? Gasping at the surface, scratching, or anything else that would be out of the ordinary for them?

What have you been using to medicate the fish? Are you sure you followed the directions very precisely? That would be the most likely culprit imho.

An ammonia spike is a possibility. How long has this tank been up and running?

It is most likely that whatever killed your fish was already in the tank spreading before the introduction of the fish. It's rare to have a bacterial infection work fast enough to kill fish in 2 days. Were they exhibiting any symptoms? Gasping at the surface, scratching, or anything else that would be out of the ordinary for them?

What have you been using to medicate the fish? Are you sure you followed the directions very precisely? That would be the most likely culprit imho.

I'm going to attribute that 0.25 to the dead fish. Keep an eye out for any "sprinkled salt" on your fish. Ich can work very fast and hits the gills first. Explains your tetras demise but the gourami is eh. It was night and day for me recently with some tetras one day they all just dropped. Next thing I knew my rams were covered in Ich. Luckily I saved them.

The gourami was at the surface a lot and the tetras seemed to be 'gasping'. The last few days my guppies and angel seem to be doing fine. Their not gasping and the angel only goes to the surface occasionally. It does seem to struggle around the filter intake but it's probably strong at 400 gph

Gasping at the surface means its very likely either gill flukes or a bacterial infection.

What would the best course of action be then?

For gill flukes I would use prazi pro. That's the safest medication to use for them and isn't terribly expensive. If there aren't any other symptoms that would be my course of action. Also, thoroughly cleaning the tank by siphoning the substrate can help reduce the numbers of gill flukes.

Back
Top Bottom