(Somewhat) new to the hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, that brings me to my next question: Could I get a cory instead of a pleco? Would a cory be compatable with the Gourami the tetras?

amitnarain said:
are corycats and otos same family as plecos? coz they are also nice.
Cory is short for corydoras, and pleco is short for plecostomus.

IMO get a 10g glass tank instead and buy the filter (AC mini) and heater (any quality 50W heater would do) from your lfs. it'll be cheaper and you'll have more control over the filter media.

get a school of cories instead of one, say three albino/common bronze cories (hardiest). they are much more active in a group. then get a school of six/eight neon tetras. that way, even if you are over the inch per gallon rule, you'll be adding a small bioload in a 10g.

and as fishy said, you are maxed out there :mrgreen: .

Hmm...How much can you buy a normal 20gal glass tank for?

Arrgh....I mite just have to go with that. It's amazing that you can get a normal glass tank for 20-30$ but those eclipse ones (Even without the hoods) cost 150$ at the least!

Eclipse cost so much because the filter and lights are built into a canopy type hood. Everything is enclosed. I have one and I'm glad that I don't have to look at a filter, but if I had to do it again, I'd just buy a standard tank, then filter and lights. Our complete 29 gal setup with stand and saltwater starter kit was something like $150.

:D It's not stupid, that's one of the most asked questions on this site. Kudo's are a way to give someone a little thank you without having to say it all the time. If someone helps you out, you can donate to them by clicking on the donate link under their name.

Okay so what are some good filters to look at for a 20 gal.?

Yet another questions: I know with reptiles the substrate has to be big enough so they won't swallow it. Is this the same with fish?

You can have any size of substrate you want. I use sand in all of my tanks but people use gravel, pebbles, and so on.

Ok so how does this sound for my first set-up:

Standard 20 gallon glass tank
Emperor 280 BIO-Wheel Filter
Tropical Isle Tahtian Moon Sand (20 Lbs.)
Stone Tripod Hideaway
Hygrophila
Foxtail
Cabomba
Hairgrass (6")
Freshwater Master Test Kit
10 Soft Mesh Fish Nets

The total was 170.00$ (Which is good, because I was aiming for a max of 200.)
So by the time I get my repord card I think I'll have enough. That doesn't include the livestock though, which I am going to save up for while my tank is cycling.

So, do you guys think that the Emperor 208 BIO-Wheel Filter would work for a 20 gal?

how much light are you going to have? your looking into hairgrass, that will need quite a bit of light, medium high light actually (heres a profile on hairgrass).. as far as the emperor 280 is conserned one, your likely going to need some CO2 and the biowheel is going to cause some problems with that if you dont get preasruized (you will waste CO2 even with preasurized) and you only need 5 cycles per hour with a planted tank and 280gph is alot more then 5 cycles per hour. You need about 100gph in a filter the small aquaclear would do fine for your 20 gallon..
Wich Hygrophila were you planning on getting? Wich Foxtail? And wich Cabomba?

btw.. sorry you didnt find my little joke funny..

Back
Top Bottom