Sorry this may seem dumb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annielauri

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, I really need to change out my filter. I keep reading about how it can restart your cycle blah, blah, blah. I have a whisper 20 filter with the biobag and another filter in front of that. Can I change out the whole biobag in one shot?

Rinse the filter pad out in lukewarm water... it will get the nasty stuff out while still keeping the beneficial bacteria in...

I have tried rinsing it. Done that a few times at water changes, but it isn't cutting it. I thought they recommend changing out the biobag monthly? There is a filter pad in front of the biobag. Can I just leave that in and change the biobag?

I think it should be the other way around. Change out the filter, since it should collect the most waste, and leave the bio bag with just rinsing it in tank water. I'm not familiar with the filter you have, but this is how it is in most. The bio bag, if it is what I think it is, is just a place for bacteria to grow, generally consisting of porous type stones that can house a good amount of bacteria. There's really no need to replace this very often maybe once or twice a year if it begins to break down.

If you do rinse your media, do not use tap water, use a bucket with tank water from your PWC.

In any event, if you decide you want to change it, change it. Just don't change out that and the filter at the same time. You have bacteria everywhere, in the filter, the biobag, on the substrate, etc. So, if you see anything at all, which is unlikely, it will be small and nothing to worry about.

Well, my water hasn't seemed as clear the past couple days. I thought it may be that? I may just add some of that fiberfill stuff then to see if that clears things up?
Oh, and I have used tank water to rinse it. Thanks

That filter pad in front of the biobag is most likely what is causing your clog. Take that out and squish it around in some used tank water and you'll be amazed at how cruddy it makes the water. Then simply just put it back in. I have a Whisper 10 on my 10 gallon QT tank that I just got rid of (replaced it with an AquaClear 20 filter which is MUCH better), it was on for over a year and about once every 2 weeks after draining the water I just squished it around in the bucket and put it back. Was good as new...

The fiberfill (if you mean the polyester bedding) will do wonders in your tank for clarity issues. It filters MUCH finer than the traditional inserts and will make your water look crystal (almost :) ) clear.

It will clog MUCH quicker than normal however, but its cheap stuff so just chuck the fiber fill once it gets funky.

Back
Top Bottom