Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have a few ideas kinda stated but things i think you may look into...

1.) To much light will cause Agle growth. I did not ever turn my light on for the first 2 weeks.
2.) Fish i did not add for 4 weeks although they make great products to "pre cycle your tank" i like to add then wait.
3.) Add one fish.. which ever you decide... danio for example are hardy fish.
If you want gold fish although i think they make to big a mess some like them... Then again .. add just one.

i note you have added plants. .. read the stickys here...

Also pet stores are trying to sale you fish ... BUT you will end up buying more if you add to many at a time.

i added mine in 5 stages. each a week apart and a few at a time.

I have over filtration by loads yet the most i have added at one time was 5.

Add let the bio load catch up .. add.... a few at a time.

although you cycle your tank with say 1 fish there is a need to equalize your filters ability to clean and cycle ... you add to many fish at one time... your filter may cycle again before it catches up.

were if you add just a few ( depending fish type and size ) your filter will be mor likly to be able to add to the load rather then cycle to get to it.. IF that make sense.

and that is my 2 cents

Old 03-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #12
Look It Up

Good advice above (unfortunately your store gave you bad advice but it happens more often than not). This link might be of help too: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium

librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi guys,
Thank you ALL for the imput! I have learnt more chatting to you than from "professionals" in the pet store. I am relieved to say that the fish survived the night. I got temperature right in the tank and transfered them last night and they seem to be doing alright - especially Oranda. The poor fellow could not really move in the bowl so he is happy to stretch his fins! They ate their breakfast and seem to be in a playful mood. So keep your fingers (and fins!) crossed for us
Old 03-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat30
Hi guys,
Thank you ALL for the imput! I have learnt more chatting to you than from "professionals" in the pet store. I am relieved to say that the fish survived the night. I got temperature right in the tank and transfered them last night and they seem to be doing alright - especially Oranda. The poor fellow could not really move in the bowl so he is happy to stretch his fins! They ate their breakfast and seem to be in a playful mood. So keep your fingers (and fins!) crossed for us
thats good!

it sucks you were given such terrible advice. big box stores are great for having supplies like filters,food, and tanks but unfortunately they just wanna sell more fish by giving awful. I would look into some small local fish stores if you have any around you. kinda feel em out and see if you like em! good luck!
Old 03-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Good luck with your Goldies! They are great, personable fish. Water changes are the very best thing you can be doing at the moment.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would recommend leaving the plank out this time unless it's been treated,because that may whats been the issue the first time.

Tags
gold fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com