Special Blend - Fishless Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ceej

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Alright, now I know a lot of people are against bacteria in bottle and I am one of them. I spotted Special Blend at the LFS and the owner said they sell a lot and recommends it. Yes, they need to sell to make money. I get it. However, I bought it and figured I'd try it. If it doesn't work, I won't be surprised, but I have read success stories.

Now...my question to those of you that know is this... I'm setting up a 10g with PFS as substrate, which the lady said she advises not to because it compacts and blah blah blah. I've always used sand. We all know kuhli's enjoy it. So the question I have is what order should I add SB, Prime, and my ammonia?

She also said the reason I have a stalled 4 week tank that's at 4ppm ammonia still and was not seeded is because I added prime after I filled the tank. Hmm...

Any suggestions, questions, comments, laughs, etc are all appreciated!

Just keep swimming

I've cycled tanks with Prime, it doesn't take a day longer than with a different dechlorinator. I also get bb from my LFS to seed instead of SafeStart or any of the other commercial bacteria products. It works well, two weeks and the latest tank takes 4ppm ammonia to 0,0,20 in 24 hours.

I'm still using Prime. Wasn't sure in what order to do it with the SB. Prime, SB, ammonia is what I did. I have gravel in my filter and in a nylon sock on the bottom of the tank. Hopefully things happen quickly with that tank.

Apparently it's good to dose with SB every so often according to reviews.

Anyone with knowledge of Special Blend? Success reports, failed attempts, etc?

Just keep swimming

Back
Top Bottom