Special situation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO Filters should be left running 24/7.
Some filters claim to be quiet running but I think all will make some noise. Vibration is the biggest cause. Ensure your filter is not touching the cabinet or glass directly. Use thin foam or polystyrene or cardboard to act as a vibration damper.
If the filter is older then it may need the ceramic spindle and/or the impeller changing. I have just changed mine - the filter was 10 years old - and it made a huge difference.
My QT is in my bedroom and I find the filter noise quite soporific, like gentle rain on a tent while camping. Sorry, got a bit poetic there.
Ps. Nice tank. I bought my tank 2nd hand and got about £1600 worth of kit for £400.

I've got a similar problem in the lounge room with noise from equipment.

My canister filter sits in a cupboard which cuts out a lot of noise. The spray bar is under water but the nozzles are turned up. So the water surface is agitated but noise is reduced.

Before the led fans, the most noisy thing was the air pump. I found if it was touching anything it would rattle.

I would agree with the above post that filters should run all the time (except feeding, etc).

My air pump was my worst nightmare too. I folded up a bigger hand towel and set it under the pump and all was quiet in my world again :) also I've got a 90 gallon HOB on my 55 tank that seems to be fairly quiet. I bought it from Petco, let me see if I can scrounge up the brand and name of it real quick..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405830118.697119.jpg
Thanks everyone for your help. I ended up running the tank planted for the month I was gone and placed the fish after I came back.

Above is the result of the finalized tank, for now:)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm also glad it worked out! Any questions about planted tanks? Any trouble cycling? I feel bad I missed this thread for so long.

I guess my question would be what would the optimal hardness and alkalinity would be for a community tank that's planted. Because the range is so high as I have 15 species altogether. My current strategy is to just put it in and see if it thrives

What I've seen is GH and KH 3-6 for planted community tanks. But I suspect a little higher may be ok in some instances if it's stable. For instance if you're at a consistent 7 I'd think you shouldn't mess with it.

Going below 3 isn't good though, you'll have pH swings and may see health issues from mineral deficiency.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Ok got it. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom