Specific region tank, possibly Borneo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScaryFatKidGT

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I use to, like most people probably thought that most freshwater tropical fish were from the amazon, but as it turns out other than plecos and tetras A LOT of fish are from far east asia and the pacific islands including Bala sharks and clown loach's that I wanted. I realized this when I got my rainbow fish and started looking at where all the different kinds of rainbows are from. So I started thinking about doing a more southeast Asian tank or even something more specific, similar to what people do with African Cichlid bassed rift valley tanks but with a freshwater community tank. I know people have done amazon tanks.

I found that Clown loachs, Bala's and glass catfish are all found in Borneo but Balas might not be good as I only have a 4' tank even tho it is 150 gallons.

Do you guys have any other ideas? Looking for tips on selecting plants too probably lowish med light as the tank is 30" deep, probably only 24" from the top of the water to the plants but still...

For plants your best bet would be crypts, although you may have to go a bit out of Borneo depending on what is available near you (and wallet friendly). Here's a fun read: http://www.tfhmagazine.com/aquatic-...ryne-and-its-habitats-in-malaysian-borneo.htm For fish the fish that comes to mind for me would be various gourami. 150 gallons and plenty of plant coverage could allow for a number of different types. Another fun option could be hillstream loaches, although that would entail a much different tank set up. Keep us updated on what you decide to do!

For plants your best bet would be crypts, although you may have to go a bit out of Borneo depending on what is available near you (and wallet friendly). Here's a fun read: The Aquatic Aroid Cryptocoryne and Its Habitats in Malaysian Borneo | Aquatic Plants | Feature Articles | TFH Magazine® For fish the fish that comes to mind for me would be various gourami. 150 gallons and plenty of plant coverage could allow for a number of different types. Another fun option could be hillstream loaches, although that would entail a much different tank set up. Keep us updated on what you decide to do!
Thinking maybe to include Sumatra so Borneo/Sumatra.

There's lots of Gourami there? Aren't they aggressive or not really?

Looks like I would need a waterfall for those loaches haha

In a densely planted tank you could probably do a few trios or pairs of certain gourami. For the hillstream loaches people do river/stream type biotopes with powerheads on one side pointing toward the other side to simulate a fast current and lots of smooth river rocks to grow algae on for the loaches. They're very cool setups and I've always wanted to do one but the temperature is too hot where I live. :(

In a densely planted tank you could probably do a few trios or pairs of certain gourami. For the hillstream loaches people do river/stream type biotopes with powerheads on one side pointing toward the other side to simulate a fast current and lots of smooth river rocks to grow algae on for the loaches. They're very cool setups and I've always wanted to do one but the temperature is too hot where I live. :(
Hmm thats cool, what temp do they need? Can any other fish be tank mates with them in the fast current?

Most people say 68-75 degrees F. As far as tankmates go any colder water fish that can handle the current would be ok, such as white clouds, neon tetras, etc. WCMMs are a good biotope fish with hillstream loaches.

I now want to make a hillstream tank..... lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Most people say 68-75 degrees F. As far as tankmates go any colder water fish that can handle the current would be ok, such as white clouds, neon tetras, etc. WCMMs are a good biotope fish with hillstream loaches.
hmmm lol this is all off topic now, I would probably need another small long tank to do this with, I want ideas for my 150

EDIT: I'm going to make another post for the hillstream tank here http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/hillstream-tank-314247.html#post2992184

As far as my 150, I would really like Bala's there are 3 fairly large ones in a 75g display tank at a LFS that I might see how much they want for them, I feel like they would be happier in a bigger tank even tho it isn't 6'. Any other ideas?

New Guinea is also an area of interest as I currently have some Lake Katubu Rainbows.

Yeah I'd skip the balas. A rainbow tank would be awesome -- plenty of options and they look amazing in big planted tanks. Another fun option might be an India/South Asia biotope. Denison barbs, Odessa barbs, snakeskin barbs, melon barbs, countless different types of big and small loaches...

Back
Top Bottom