Speeding Up a Fishless Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No need to do a water change. Looks like you are progressing normally. The reason you nitrate is high is probably because a nitrate test also detects nitrites and it gives a false reading.

Thanks Rich, I'll leave it alone and let it do it's thing.

I had some movement overnight. I tested again this morning while I was getting ready for work at 7:00am. Here are the results:

Ph = 6.6 | Nitrite = .50ppm | Ammonia = 1ppm | Nitrate = .50ppm

Does this sound right that the Ammonia and Ph dropped, the Nitrate went up, but the Nitrite stayed the same? I'm going to test again tonight to see where I'm at.

Well, I'm 11 days into the fishless cycle now and I've got some movement! Here are the results from today's tests which I did about a half hour ago...

Ph = 6.8 | Ammonia = .5ppm | Nitrite = 2ppm | Nitrate = 20ppm

Anyone have any quesses on how much longer the cycle will last, assuming it keeps going as normal that is. :)

While I have bad news to report on my 10 gallon aquarium (I'm fighting Ich!), I have great news on this front!

My fishless cycle seems to have completed! I just ran all of the tests tonight and here are the readings...

Ph = 6.6 | Ammonia = 0ppm | Nitrite = 0ppm | Nitrate = 40ppm

This cycle probably completed a day or so ago, but I'm just now getting around to the tests. Unfortunately, I'm moving in the near future so I won't be adding any new fish until the move has been completed. Less of a headache for me and less stress on the 'would be' fish to just wait until everything has settled. Still, it's pretty exciting to know that I've completed my first fishless cycle! :)

Back
Top Bottom