sponge filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
plecoking said:
I treat a tank cycling no different than I'd treat a cycled tank.

add clean water - add fish - feed fish - do water changes

I don't really give much credence to cycling or the so called beneficial bacterial, because they show up sooner or later like clockwork. Just feed your fish like you normally do and keep up on the water changes. The tank will cycle, fish don't really need the bacteria, that is what the water changes are for. I think some rely too much on tank cycling, it's only beneficial if you don't do weekly water changes. Other than that, it's not that important.

Well, I'd prefer it to be cycled as I'm currently doing 50-60% pwc every day just to keep the ammonia down. I'd love to be doing water changes on a weekly basis but until then it's all about test tubes and buckets.

Rinzy said:
Well, I'd prefer it to be cycled as I'm currently doing 50-60% pwc every day just to keep the ammonia down. I'd love to be doing water changes on a weekly basis but until then it's all about test tubes and buckets.

You're doing a great job and absolutely the right thing :). I wasn't speaking of you with my last post, I just wanted to make clear to the other poster that only doing weekly water changes are not acceptable in my opinion (and most experienced hobbyists) to keep your fish healthy. Keep doing the same great job you're doing and staying committed to your water changes...and your fishy friends will be fine :)

alLexX said:
i know you dont have to replace it,but thanks for the carbon info. i added to your rep.

Thank lol I probably didnt deserve it ha ha

Thank lol I probably didnt deserve it ha ha
yeah you did,you told me that it doesnt turn to biological filtration,and that it just sends junk into your water,my fishys thank you.

alLexX said:
yeah you did,you told me that it doesnt turn to biological filtration,and that it just sends junk into your water,my fishys thank you.

IMO once it's time to replace the filter u can just take it out then ;) im glad I helped for once lol! I've learned a lot on here and doing lots of research. Also learning from
My mistakes as well ...

Just to add another bit of info on replacing filters...always seed a new one before replacing the old. When a filter is getting to the point that it's falling apart, jam a new one in next to it for a couple weeks so it can seed the new filter with bacteria from the old. The best way is to have the old filter being the first thing the water contacts with the new filter jammed right up against it as the second thing the water hits. After a couple weeks the new filter will be seeded with bacteria from the old and you won't have as much of an impact on the beneficial bacteria when it is removed. Carbon does become a source of biological filtration since it's a porous media in the filter area. I wouldn't worry about it leeching compounds, it simply becomes inert after it has absorbed all it's capable of :)

My grandma just bought two new filters
And I made sure I crammed the old cartridges in and told her they needed
To stay at least two weeks and I'd remove one at a time.. Lol

eco23 said:
Just to add another bit of info on replacing filters...always seed a new one before replacing the old. When a filter is getting to the point that it's falling apart, jam a new one in next to it for a couple weeks so it can seed the new filter with bacteria from the old. The best way is to have the old filter being the first thing the water contacts with the new filter jammed right up against it as the second thing the water hits. After a couple weeks the new filter will be seeded with bacteria from the old and you won't have as much of an impact on the beneficial bacteria when it is removed. Carbon does become a source of biological filtration since it's a porous media in the filter area. I wouldn't worry about it leeching compounds, it simply becomes inert after it has absorbed all it's capable of :)

U can take it out anyways incase u have an emergency and need to use meds u
Don't have to do it then ;) but then again I have some that still has carbon lol...

Flossie said:
U can take it out anyways incase u have an emergency and need to use meds u
Don't have to do it then ;) but then again I have some that still has carbon lol...

You're right...it's fine to remove a filter in a situation to set up a QT / hospital tank (ensuring you monitor the tank it was removed from for any changes), but as a general rule it's a good idea to always seed new media before replacing old just like you did :). The majority of lower-mid end HOB filters tend to have 2 slots for cartridges. Since that majority of your BB is in the filter media, by replacing one of those 2 cartridges you are instantly removing 50% of the beneficial bacteria from that area.

And yes, I agree that carbon doesn't need to be used except to remove meds, color, odor, etc...

eco23 said:
You're right...it's fine to remove a filter in a situation to set up a QT / hospital tank (ensuring you monitor the tank it was removed from for any changes), but as a general rule it's a good idea to always seed new media before replacing old just like you did :). The majority of lower-mid end HOB filters tend to have 2 slots for cartridges. Since that majority of your BB is in the filter media, by replacing one of those 2 cartridges you are instantly removing 50% of the beneficial bacteria from that area.

And yes, I agree that carbon doesn't need to be used except to remove meds, color, odor, etc...

Awesome thanks for all the great help ;) I've learned a lot from u guys :D

Mr. Limpet said:
Sounds like your dedication to keeping your fish healthy is paying off. I'd just leave to filter alone and let your tank cycle. Prime will still allow ammo to show up, but in a non-toxic form that is safer for fish and bacteria can still chew on it. As long as it stays at/below .25ppm, you're fine IMO/E. Carbon isn't going to do any harm and once it has adsorbed all it can, it basically becomes inert and allows bacteria to grow there. Just clean the cart out in used tank water when needed and keep using it till it falls apart and before you have to replace it, put a new one in a couple weeks ahead of time to help seed it with bacteria.

I'm not sure what size Aqueon you have, but once you're cycled you might think about adding a second filter and an Aqua Clear 50 is my best recommendation.

Good luck and keep the faith, it WILL cycle soon enough.

I just bought a QT tank and moved my fish in there so I can do a fishless cycle - my back can't take too many more bucket adventures. But I took your filter advice and bought the aquaclear 50 filter. Thanks for the recommendation :)

One thing about the aquaclear filter - should I not even bother with the carbon pouch? Or does it need all 3 layers in there to run properly?

Rinzy said:
One thing about the aquaclear filter - should I not even bother with the carbon pouch? Or does it need all 3 layers in there to run properly?

My suggestion is save the carbon for removing meds and use poly-fil in its place.

Back
Top Bottom