Sponge filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, my 5 gallon had a huge accident, the filter spilled and half of the tank drained out, well, lets just say my mom was very pissed, I want to make a sponge filter, I can buy an air pump for 8 bucks this week end, how do I make it?
Thanks!

Have you thought about an internal power filter?

2.5 gallons would be my best case scenario... I'm usually looking at 10-60 gallons minimum if there is a tank problem :)

Well, I mean it was a 5 gallon tank, half the water spewed out
The problem was an internal power filter

75748-albums12252-picture60018.jpg

This is what I made for my breeding tanks. I used a razor blade to cut many many holes in the bottom at the gravel line. Enough that I could comfortably breathe through the bottle. Then I cut it in half, filled it with stuff, nested the two halves together, added a lift tube, and put an airstone in it. The nice thing is you can add any sort of media that you want such as purigen.

It's a very effective box filter. You could do the same with PVC for a nicer looking product. Larger pipe to hold filter media with a reducer coupling for the uplift tube. With PVC you can use a table saw to cut the slits rather than a razor blade.

I like that, I think I'll get a smaller bottle though

So I get a smaller bottle, make holes in it, put carbon, a sponge, filter media on top, and stick airline tubing connected to an air pump to it?

Back
Top Bottom