Sponge filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggheadfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Me again. I think for my new 15 gal I want to run a sponge filter but I have some questions as I've never used one before:
1. Is it worth doing DIY? They seem cheap enough to just buy them for smaller tanks
2. Any particular brands anyone recommends?
3. What would be the best way to seed the sponge? Stick the whole thing in my existing tank, plop the sponge on my HOB intake, or throw it in with the HOB filter pads? I assume just putting the whole set up in the tank but just asking.
If I think of anything else I'll add on
Thanks in advance!

Aquarium Internal Filters: ATI Hydro-Sponge Pro Filters at Foster and Smith Aquatics

These are good sponge filters. I prefer them over the finer sponges because they don't clog as easily.

As for seeding it, you could run it in an established tank for a few weeks.

Doying a DIY sponge filter, I wouldn't do it for adisplay tank, but they are great for breeding tanks. I use these for all of my guppy tanks.

75748-albums12252-picture60018.jpg

Thanks mebbid! Is there any advantage to having dual sponges, other than alternating cleaning to preserve more bacteria? I know surface area is important but I'm not clear on what a dual sponge would do versus single if the surface area was the same, like this:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418391402.093149.jpg

They are okay. Those dual sponges are nice to be able to seed other tanks. Other than that theres no real benefit.

Ok cool. I like the one you suggested, seems like the water flow is more straightforward plus it's aesthetically less intrusive.
Is it absolutely necessary to get check valves or one way flow it whatever they're called for the airline? I have no problem keeping the pump sitting above the tank. How often should sponges be replaced?

The sponges should last year's before they start degrading. If you keep the air pump above the tank then it's fine to avoid the check valves. They should be added if it's below the tank then.

I'm not a sponge guru, but I have used the aquatop sponges, and for the price, they get the job done

I have the ProV Mebbid listed. Only problem I have is it wants to float so I have to place a rock on the top of sponge. Other than that it's a nice addition to my 125gallon.

Thanks guys!
Weighting it down shouldn't be an issue I'm planning on hunting for some rocks for the tank anyway. I'm sure I can rig something up.
Anything else I should know? I plan on seeding for a min of six weeks in my existing tank, I think that should be sufficient but if not please correct me!

I bought weighted bases with my sponges. Works like a charm.

The one I linked should come with it.

Hey all,
I got my two new hydro sponge filters in the mail. I was planning on seeding the one rated for 20 gal in my 55 but I don't have any outlets left so I put it in the 35. It works, but holy bubbles this thing is powerful and my hatchet is a little mad.
Is there any way to reduce the flow rate? I don't want to compromise the filter but I don't think he's going to dig six weeks of this. I'll have to turn it off the feed him because the surface agitation is enormous.
Any help is appreciated

Thanks treeman. Is there any issue with reducing flow in terms of filter performance? I assume it would have less turnover if I turn down the flow rate

Turnover (and noise and turbulence) will be reduced but this should not affect the performance of the filter. There is a tremendous amount of surface area in these filters.
What tree was referring to was a was to bleed off excess air. And to make things even quieter, the valve that you use for bleeding off air...attach a length of air line tubing to it and put the open end in a sock or something similar to muffler the sound. Might not be necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks David. I don't care so much about noise just the amount of bubbles exploding out of this thing. If it's this powerful in the 35 it's going to be crazy in the fifteen once I move it. If there's no concern with the actual filtering then I'll pick up a valve for it. Thanks!

Okay back in this thread again. I miraculously found a valve with the air flow control already in my house (forgive me, I don't know what all this stuff is "technically" called) so I turned the flow down a little. Everyone seems to have adjusted just fine.
But - now I have an issue with the one way flow valves. I bought a couple last time I was out just to have them, but something is amiss.
I tried one, nothing came out of my airstone. So I put the straight tube in the water, got one bubble, two bubbles, the flow was extremely weak. Just out of curiosity I took the tubing out and tried to blow through it, and it's super resistant. I tried it on three of my air pumps to no avail. No, it was not in the wrong way I triple checked that too. Do I just have junk pumps or what?
I was going to try it on another pump, but when I plugged it in the cord exploded off of the plug in a shower of sparks and burned the wall and my hand in the process. So that didn't go so well haha.

Check valves do offer some resistance. Some more than others. The pumps might not have enough pressure to overcome the resistance. But I would think it should.
You could try placing the air pump above the water line and skip the check valve use.
Be careful! Glad it was not worse. That sounds terrible. Hopefully it was just the air pump and not an electrical issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have all the pumps above the tanks now I just thought I should get some valves in case, once I get the filter in the fifteen I really didn't want one rattling on the glass lid. I'll figure something out.
Yeah it was the pump, it was old and I neglected to notice some corrosion on the metal, which was strange because I had it running the day before in a different outlet. It's all good :)

Back
Top Bottom