Sponge filters.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrMalta

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a sponge filter for my 10 gallon tank that I'd like to setup as a breeder for RCS.

I also bought a power jet (Maxi Jet 400). I think I have it set up and running, I mean, it's pumping water and all - but I don't know if I did it right. Can anyone tell me how to properly set it up?

Also, does anyone have any pictures of their aquariums or other aquariums with sponge filters so I can see how they've been used/hidden?

Thankyou!

Anyone? .. perhaps I'll remove it. I bought a Fluval 1 underwater filter and it seems to be excellent, super quiet, super small - not as ugly as the sponge or as loud.

Is anyone aware if this could cause a danger in the breeding process of RCS?

Not familiar with that pump personally, but you'll need to be careful that it isn't able to suck up the young shrimp. Baby cherries are very, very small and not exactly strong swimmers, so even light forces can affect them heavily.

I personally have a HOB type filter in my 10 gallon RCS breeder tank. I have a HUGE clump of java moss that takes up about 1/3 of the tank though and the babies seem to stay in that area for the most part. There are even some strand of the moss on the intake of the filter and I often see babies on those strands and on the intake itself swimming around for what it's worth. I've found that they are stronger swimmers that most people think. Also, I wouldn't put a powerhead in a shrimp breeding tank... it's unnecessary.

The powerhead was originally for the sponge filter. But I think I set it up wrong anyways. So ya, it will come out 'cause it makes quite the current.

Neilanh - thanks for the light suggestion again, you have a rcs tank too if I'm correct, may I see a photo?

Bs6749 - could I see a picture of your rcs tank as well?

A respected fish breeder suggests that the airflow through sponge filters should be very low-just a few bubbles popping through.

The reasoning behind this is that you are trying to establish biological filtration rather than mechanical filtration. If they are bubbling away mightily, then you are clogging the biological filter with tons of fine crud, minimizing water flow through the beneficial bacteria.

As to hiding the sponge, I was able to do this successfully in my shrimp tank by plonking a chunk of driftwood in front of the filter. Even in the tiny 5 gallon tank, with black airline tubing it was just about invisible.

The baby shrimp are so tiny I would have a sponge over the intake of the (Eclipse) filter that was on the tank, then wrap pantyhose over that. Even then I'd occasionally find shrimp in the filter!

EDIT: Here's a version with plants in front of the sponge-you can see the filter, but as the plants grew a bit it was obscured.

img_862037_0_61db4545d5ead5bdab4f4bdcb0e22546.jpg

Last edited:
My RCS tank is in shambles right now. I left out of the country for 6 weeks and it didn't fair well, and since I've returned almost all of my focus has been on my 125. But, I'll snap a pic tonight if you promise not to laugh at it.

If the flow or suction effect of using the powerhead on the sponge filter is too much, then you could use an air pump with it instead. That is what I use on my sponge filters (1 for a QT tank and 1 for my shrimp tank). I've never used a powerhead on them, so I wouldn't be able to tell you if you set it up right or not.

IIRC, MrMalta is planning on running CO2 in this tank. The airstone in the sponge filter would contradict that.

I believe a small HOB would be the best bet if he has issues with the pump he got.

He could get a flow control valve (they are super cheap) and turn down the flow of the airstone, so that you don't outgas all your co2. A few bubbles from the airstone would be fine.

The outflow of a HOB will outgas CO2 as well. ;) Since you already have the sponge filter, you might as well use it. My shrimp like to hang out on mine. :D

I'll have to take a picture later tonight and show you guys my setup. It's obviously not working, I tried using an air pump instead, the sponge filter has the ability to hook the tubing line right up to the sponge.

I'll take some pictures and post tomorrow afternoon.

I just scrapped the sponge filter and went with the Fluval 1+ instead, it not only looks better but is a lot quieter.

As I said before this will be a 10 gallon RCS tank. I just got my new light in today, 1 x 28 watt Coralife PC fixture with adjustable mounting legs which I installed. The substrate is Fluorite, which is a ***** 'cause every time I touch it, it begins to cloud the water. Hopefully that leaves soon.

Anyways, would I be able to put lava rocks in this tank and attach java moss to them with fishing line? Are lava rocks suitable for RCS tanks and do they raise or lower the ph?

I hope not 'cause I have a really good idea in my head! :)

One last thing, what other type of plants are good for RCS tanks? I just got some micro sword in my 38 gallon the other day and I'm hoping that will begin to spread throughout the tank soon, perhaps I could put some of that in this 10 gallon as well? ..or any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Flourite can be quite the pain with its cloudiness. It does decrease over time, but it can take months. It will always cloud for at least a little while when doing a major replanting.

If you already have the lava rock, you can test it by placing it in a bucket of water for a few weeks. Test parameters before and after to see if there's any change.

Shrimp just plain like plants. If you can get it to grow, they'll like it.

I already siliconed the lava rocks together today, just waiting for it to cure. I read that it does not affect the parameters. So I went ahead and did this. But when I put it in the tank I'll still have to wait for a bit anyways, so I'll test them consistantly then.

A pain? LOL - it's more than a pain, gahh!

Back
Top Bottom