Stability Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

semperfi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am cycling a 29g moderately planted aquarium. I am in my 8th day of the cycle and have been dosing to 3-4 ppm ammonia each day. I am now getting rid of about 3 ppm ammonia every twelve hours, nitrites are off the chart, and nitrates have been running 5 to 10 ppm for four days. I just finished my 7 day regimen of adding Stability also. I feel like from everything I have read that everything is going good. My question is...Having used Stability, will my tank still cycle through like normal? I ask because I was reading a few reviews of Stability and people were saying they never showed any detectable amounts of ammonia or nitrites. Was I not supposed to add ammonia if using Stability? I only dosed to 1-2 ppm tonight instead if my regular 3-4 ppm ammonia. Thanks in advance for any answers/advice that could be given,

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Have you been doing partial water changes (PWCs) regularly? Are you using a liquid test or test strips?

Your tank won't support happy fish until your ammonia and nitrite levels are at 0, and your nitrAte is at 5 or so. Some folk are ok with nitrAtes being as high as 10 or 20, but not more than that IMHO.

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class

Have you been doing partial water changes (PWCs) regularly? Are you using a liquid test or test strips?

Your tank won't support happy fish until your ammonia and nitrite levels are at 0, and your nitrAte is at 5 or so. Some folk are ok with nitrAtes being as high as 10 or 20, but not more than that IMHO.

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

Thanks for the response. I am using the API liquid solution/test tube kit to check all my levels. As far as the water changes, I am getting very mixed advice on whether or not to do them. Several people (including my LFS) have told me to "not touch it" and just wait. On the flip side, several people have told me to do water changes. I am very confused by it all. I understand the concept of amonia->nitrItes->nitrAtes, but I just wondered if me adding Stability would change how the cycle progressed. Thanks again for the response.:thanks:

I don't believe it changes how the cycle progresses; getting nitrItes to turn into nitrAtes is the longest and most frustrating step IMHO.

I would definitely do at least a 30% WC every two or three days.

And the nitrAte test is the easiest one to mess up in the API liquid test kit, so be sure to follow the directions to the letter.

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

I don't believe it changes how the cycle progresses; getting nitrItes to turn into nitrAtes is the longest and most frustrating step IMHO.

I would definitely do at least a 30% WC every two or three days.

And the nitrAte test is the easiest one to mess up in the API liquid test kit, so be sure to follow the directions to the letter.

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

Thank you very much for the help! I am really trying not to be impatient, but this hobby has me hooked. I am going to try to focus on my plants and make sure I get a good handle on how to take care of them before I add fish. Have a great day!:thanks:

Lol, yeah. It can be a bit trying. But completely worth it.

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

Back
Top Bottom