Stacking rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cterzich

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I'm stacking my rock right now and I can't stop thinking what if this falls into my tank and breaks the glass. How do people stack your rock and do you use something to make sure it doesn't fall.

Here what I have so far
Imageshack - dsc01205h

imo you need to go for a more natural stack. that has worked for me. instead of trying to edge every rock and make it look like a bridge, try stacking them more like they would have fallen in to the aquarium. i just put bigger rocks on the bottom down against the glass, and just find pieces that fit until ive got what i want. standing them up on their edges without gluing them is asking for problems

I use big rocks or big flat rocks on the bottom, and lock the rocks into each other.

Id make more of natural look like stated before, rocks dont really make bridges when they fall its more of a pile and pieces locking into the cracks and nooks. You can achieve a much more useful arch doing this.

Angle the main support rocks for maximum strength,placing smaller chunk rock under these angles provide a bigger footprint on the gravel for weight distribution.

Thank you for your feed back. I'm going to glue it tonight. Here a pic of what it looks like right now
dsc01207b.jpg

what are you putting in the tank? just asking because if youre doing mbuna, then i would redo the rockwork... i had mine the same way when i started with mine, and i have figured out that they dont like open caves that look like bridges, they prefer small crevaces that you wouldnt think they would fit in. i guess it makes them feel more secure. and you will also find that they wont stay the same very long, i usually make mine look different each month when i take them apart to clean

Where do you get your rocks from? I know of a nearby quarry where I can get slate but I can never find the larger rocks with the holes in them, whatever they're called :p

I kept my rock stacks very low for that reason. I kept it pretty simple with two caves or bridges and a lot of crevices that the labido and albino love to swim through for me. I also have driftwood, so I didn't want to crowd the tank too much.

I use Aquamend its a water safe epoxy dries underwater and is hard as all get out once it sets up. Safe for your water as well.

Back
Top Bottom