Stalking suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fjords93

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 15 gallon and I currently have:
2- otocinclus
4- neon tetra
1- albino Pleco
1-black neon tetra
3-white clouds

I want to get something a little bigger to add to my tank. Any suggestions? No Mollies or guppies, I don't want to deal with salts.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Bristle nose Pleco.

You are pretty stocked up for that tank size. I am not sure a larger fish would fit in and overstocked tanks cause more problems than you maybe want. If you must have another, I would go with a dwarf gourami. They are cool and pretty.

I would get rid of the minnows and black neon and bump your neon school to at least 6. I'm with ppo, a dwarf gourami would be nice.

I would get rid of the minnows and black neon and bump your neon school to at least 6. I'm with ppo, a dwarf gourami would be nice.

+1

Or you could just let your bristlenose grow out, they get 4-5 inches. that would be distinctly "larger" than your other fish.

PS do you have driftwood for your bristlenose?

+1

Or you could just let your bristlenose grow out, they get 4-5 inches. that would be distinctly "larger" than your other fish.

PS do you have driftwood for your bristlenose?

I do not have driftwood, is that a necessary for the Pleco? He is so so small, how long do they take to reach maturity? He might be an inch long right now.

Are the dawarf gourami known for jumping? I have a lid on my tank but there is a small space by the filter that I have lost Mollie's through before.

I do not have driftwood, is that a necessary for the Pleco? He is so so small, how long do they take to reach maturity? He might be an inch long right now.

Are the dawarf gourami known for jumping? I have a lid on my tank but there is a small space by the filter that I have lost Mollie's through before.

They can jump, like all fish, but are not known jumpers

What is the reasoning for getting rid of the minnows and the black neon? Just curiosity.

What is the reasoning for getting rid of the minnows and the black neon? Just curiosity.

All of the fish that you have, except for the pleco, are shoaling fish that need to be kept in groups of six or more (you may be OK with 3-4 otos, though). If they're in smaller numbers, they'll be stressed and more disease-prone.

You're being told to get rid of a couple of species because a 15 gallon tank isn't spacious enough to keep proper shoals of all of those species.

I got my albino bristle nose pleco three months ago at 1 inch long. It is now 5 inches long and almost a deep orange color (very pretty!). I think this is pretty rapid growth for a pleco. I personally feel plecos need driftwood (I like mopani because it sinks right away, but it will tint your water for a long time). It is also important to know that algae tabs alone will not satisfy them. They need meaty foods too like brine shrimp, pellets, blood worms, etc.

hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom