Stalled cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dreamsINdigital

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, I'm currently cycling a 10 gallon tank, but I think it might be stalled. I was poorly advised by my LFS to use feeder goldfish to cycle the tank, and leave them in the tank if they die. I bought 3 feeder goldfish on June 25th and introduced them to the tank. I didn't want for them to die, so I did partial water changes when they started to look lethargic. I know that reduced the ammonia and prolonged the cycle period, but I tried to save the fish. Well all the fish died, and I left them in the tank to decompose. I know now to use live fish for cycling from now on.

I got a test kit, and these are what the readings look like...

7/1/09:
1.0 Ammonia
1.0 Nitrite
5.0 Nitrate
7.6 pH

7/3/09:
0.25 - 0.50 Ammonia
5.0 Nitrite
5.0 Nitrate
7.8 - 8.0 pH

7/5/09:
0.25 Ammonia
5.0 Nitrite
5.0 Nitrate

7/7/09:
0.25 Ammonia
5.0 Nitrite
5.0 Nitrate

7/10/09:
5.0 Nitrite

7/11/09:
0.25 Ammonia
5.0 Nitrate

It's been a little over 2 weeks since the fish were introduced to the tank. The readings haven't changed in awhile, is the cycle stalled? What should I do now? Should I do a partial water change? Is more ammonia needed? I have a large excess of fish food I could add if needed.

Thanks

is it showing any nitrites? what kind of test kit are you using? some of the days you are missing the readings.

if all the fish are dead i would get ammonia to feed the cycle.

I'm using the API Master Test Kit. As you can see, nitrite is 5.0. The last days I didn't take all the readings because I was pretty sure they would be the same, which they are.

its best to test them all vs assuming it. you need more ammonia it looks like. the bacteria will start to die off with out a food source.

I've added some fish food, but no change in levels yet. The tank could use some more water though. Should I add more water and dechlorinate it?

Just me... but I think I would start all over. What sort of setup are you planning? Your options are mostly limited to livebearers or small tetras.
Once you figure that out, you could purchase one or two of these fish and monitor them and the levels. Make your water changes as usual, and instead of sacrificing fish, let these stay.

Are you saying my options are limited because of the size of the tank or because of the cycle somehow? I'm planning for a male betta with cory cats and/or neon tetras.

Back
Top Bottom