Stalled cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drayven

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've been doing my fishless cycle on my 50g breeder for about a month now I guess. For the past several weeks my ammonia has been dropping to 0 very quickly and I've been waiting on my nitrites to go away. What I've been noticing is that for the past week or so the nitrite readings seem to always be somewhere between .5 and 1 which at first made me excited because it was dropping from the off the charts number it was at one point but it never seems to actually zero out. I'm just not sure what to do here, do I just keep waiting or is it done? There's nitrates in the water, I dont' have an exact number as I didn't test it in the past couple days but I have seen them in previous tests. And one thing I noticed about the nitrite test is that if I leave it in the vial for 20 mins or so it does turn blue which means 0 but after the 5 minute wait it's still in the .5-1ppm range. Any advice would be great.

edit ---
just tested my nitrAtes and they're at 5ppm. I also just saw Colt17s thread a bit down this page and I guess I'll just wait it out.

Back
Top Bottom