Stalled Cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulmorphine

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I've been in this hobby for about a month now but thanks to sites like yours, I feel like my little fishies are getting the care they need. I have 3 - 10 gallons + a 20 gallon + am about to purchase a 29 or 55 gallon very soon.

My tanks have been running with fish for 3.5 weeks now. My 10 gallons are all cycled (0 ammonia 0 nitrites 10ppm nitrates). Strangely enough my 20 gallon seems to have hit a plateau. It isn't severely overloaded or anything - it has very small juvenile fish including a rainbow shark, a guppy, 5 fast-growing guppy fry, and recently I added 2 yoyo loaches + an otocinclus. The last 3-4 days, I've tested with the same parameters (0 ammonia 2ppm nitrItes, 10ppm nitrAtes).

I added another filter (it was running an aquaclear mini and I added an Aquaclear 30), improved aeration with an airstone + air pump, added cycle + stresszyme, did 10% and 25% water changes the last 2 days respectively, and even did a little gravel cleaning + filter floss cleaning today b/c as a doting parent, I tend to overfeed the fry.

Any advice? I didn't want to clean the gravel before the tank cycled or do so many water changes but I don't want any casualties due to high nitrites. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

As for my next tank, how difficult is it to move a fully stocked 55 gallon? I might move soon in the next 6 months so should I just stick w/ what I have until then, or would a 29 gallon be OK? I don't want any of my babies to die due to stress + moving. Thanks in advance.

The low bioload prob means low levels of NO2 production, so it takes longer to cycle. (When I did my original cycling & keeping NO2 at 2 or less, it took 2 months to get the 2nd phase established!)

Since you have a cycled 10, why not get some stuff from it (best is a used filter, or at least the gunk from the filter) & seed your 20's filter. That should kick start the cycle.

Re: move - how far are you moving? Not too bad just down the street ... major expedition if going across country! :D

Back
Top Bottom